DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is there a way to display file name (or active take name) of all events in timeline? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/485261-there-way-display-file-name-active-take-name-all-events-timeline.html)

Adi Head September 25th, 2010 03:34 AM

Is there a way to display file name (or active take name) of all events in timeline?

Is there a way to have the active take name (or alternatively the file name) of each event visible on the timeline, like a small label?
I'm trying to log a bunch of events on the timeline. I want to write down the file name of each event and a few words about the content in it. But so far the only way I've found to get the file name (or active take name) is by right-clicking the even in the timeline and selecting Properties from the pop-up menu. If there was a way to have this information visible in the timeline it would save me a load of time.

Did a search in Vegas help pages and in this forum, didn't come up with anything....

Mike Kujbida September 25th, 2010 04:26 AM

The following is applicable to both Pro 8 and Pro 9.

View - Active Take Information
Ctrl+Shift+I is the shortcut.

View - Edit Details (Alt+6 is the shortcut) brings up a tab with a lot of useful information as well that can be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.

Adi Head September 25th, 2010 04:58 AM

Cool :)
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Mike Kujbida September 25th, 2010 05:04 AM

Always glad to help :-)
BTW, a free tool I've found very useful is Notepad from the folks at VASST.

Adi Head September 25th, 2010 10:40 AM

Thanks for the tip Mike!! There's a built in Notepad feature just like that in Cubase and I've always used it and found it great to keep track of changes in different versions of the same project, or for reminding myself what I've recently done, or intend to do later.
With Vegas I've just been keeping separate txt files which I create with the Notepad that comes with Windows - So the VASST Notepad is a great feature for me. :)

Seth Bloombaum September 25th, 2010 12:05 PM

I have active take info displayed almost always.

Likewise, timecode info can be displayed on the clip thumbnail - I use it *all* the time...
Options | Preferences | Video | Show source frame numbers on event thumbnails as | Timecode

Adi Head September 25th, 2010 07:49 PM

Good to know. Thanks Seth.

Adi Head September 25th, 2010 09:10 PM

Hey Mike. I can't install the VASST Notepad. When running the installer exe file - I get the following message:

Vegas Pro 8 installation could not be found. This plug-in requires Vegas Pro 8.

I have Vegas Pro 9e installed.

Mike Kujbida September 25th, 2010 09:43 PM

Adi, I owe you an apology.
Notepad is the only VASST freeware tool that never got updated for use with Pro 9.
I was positive that I had it running with Pro 9 but I just checked and it was Pro 8, not 9 that I have it installed on.

Adi Head September 26th, 2010 12:57 AM

No Sweat :)