Raw to Client with FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Raw to Client with FCP

I've got a client that wants my raw MOV or AVI (Cineform) files to pull into FCP on a MAC to edit.
I'd like to at least clean up the sound a little and perhaps treat whitebalance on a few shots.

The less "RAW" i suppose the less FCP will want to accept these into it's timeline right? But what's a good way to provide the right mix of RAW and somewhat treated files for their FCP editing?

Does this make a little bit of sense?

TIA
Harry
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Depending on your version of Cineform, do you have First Light?

As I understand it, you can use First Light to non-destructively add colour corrections and various other effects to the Cineform files. The adjustments are stored as meta-data and applied in 'real-time' to the decoded video being used.

I can't imagine, other than wanting to make all the changes himself, that there is any difference between a 'virgin' Cineform, and one that's been colour corrected and re-encoded. I mean, that's kind of the point of an intermediate codec like Cineform, right?
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Welp I don't have first light. Converted the MOV to AVI but the AVI played back by themselves has the sound and video out of sync for some reason...so I'm burning a DVD of selected MOVs (as shot) so he can have the rawest of the raw. Hopefully FCP can handle the MOVs...........
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the same problem in my office. One guy uses FCP and sometimes we have to trade files for projects and it can be a hassle. I found if I have to give him RAW stuff, but I want to do some correction or something, I bring it into Vegas, do what needs to be done and then render out as uncompressed AVI. Yeah, the files are huge but with an external HDD or a decent network connection he can use those files directly in FCP. (but of course when he gives me uncompressed .mov files in the yuv codec Vegas won't touch it. Sucks.)
Michael Tobias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...