Vegas Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2002, 01:45 PM   #16
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

here's review on Vegas Video ... you can also read reviews od FCP and avid at the site

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2001/12_dec/reviews/cw_vegasvid3.htm
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 01:59 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

I just downloaded that 3D plugin. Very nice! Reminds me of the interface on the 50,000 dollars systems they had at our local UPN affiliate. Winmorph download seems to have been corrupted however :-( . I guess I'll try again.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Full version of WinMorph just released!
Taken form a post from the Sonicfoundry fourum (Vegas Video)

1) The WinMorph Morph transition now integrates more with Vegas. The cacheing method has been replaced with a better approach, so now you can use WinMorph like any other transition without any complications. For this to work, the dynamic RAM preview has to be turned off in Vegas (like in PluginPac 3D LE).

2) A new "Warp - WinMorph" video FX plugin has been added. So you can use WinMorph for warping/distorting events in the timeline. The sample veggies will show how easy it is to create innovative effects.

WinMorph 3.01 can be downloaded for FREE from http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/

If any problems, please post here or at the WinMorph Userforum at http://www.debugmode.com/forums/

Thanks
Satish
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 12:41 AM   #19
Slash Rules!

What's the deal with turning off the dynamic previewing? Doesn't that mean you can't see your FX without rendering?
Old November 18th, 2002, 04:26 AM   #20
Outer Circle

Man..., it even converts PAL to NTSC? I have one more question. (And thanks for all the information.) Say I want to put a computer together, what would be good to run Vegas?

1) Motherboard / chip
2) cards
3) HD / memory
4) did I miss something?

Thanks!

PS: I can't download the demo because I'm running an older system (P100). A new computer would be strictly for video. (Please don't suggest a MAC.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:34 AM   #21
Rextilleon

Frank--the beauty of Vegas is that hardware requirements are minimal although the more raw computing power, the better the performance. Just make sure you have an OCHI complient firewire card--(the ADS Pyro with TI chips seems to be the card of choice) a dedicated video hard drive running at 7200 rpm, and 512k of memory. It runs great on either Intel or AMD and a quality mother board.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:58 AM   #22
Warden

I've seen the conversion of NTSC to PAL and vice versa. It's not something I would sell to a client. Maybe, it would be suitable for event type work, weddings etc. The best conversions I've seen are through stand alone hardware (Snell & Wilcox).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:29 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Josh, No you still get a good preview.
even on my dual 600 pentium three.
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Rick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:09 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Jeff, I've seen it too, and it's great when the proper settings are used.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:25 AM   #25
Slash Rules!

I'm still not sure why they say to turn off the previewing for use of the 3D pack. I've had it on and everything still works fine.
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:37 PM   #26
Outer Circle

Thanks for the hardware advice.

Re: "The best conversions I've seen are through stand alone hardware (Snell & Wilcox)."

Yeah, someone at the camera forum at www.dv.com said this costs around $125,000 US. Ouch! I'm just a bottom feeder...instructional and event videos. (Pays the bills, though.)
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:19 PM   #27
Warden

They have units for less than 1/10 that price, maybe even 1/20 (just checking your math skills, Frank, your probably reading this at 5 in the morning). But if jojolimited says it has a great look, he's probably right. I don't use VV and the footage I saw was done by someone else. Proper settings will make all the difference in software encoding.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 09:20 PM   #28
Outer Circle

1/20 of that price, that's about what a top of the line SVHS multi-system converting VCR/deck costs.
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:06 PM   #29
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Man..., it even converts PAL to NTSC? I have one more question. (And thanks for all the information.) Say I want to put a computer together, what would be good to run Vegas?<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski

I'm running the following low cost setup with VV:

MB: Abit BD7II-Raid (built in LAN/Audio/USB 2.0/ATA 133)
CPU: P4 1.8ghz
Video: ATI Radeon 7500 AGP 64meg DDR
RAM: 512 Crucial PC 2100
HD's: Seagate barracuda's 7200 spin (4 drives @ ~140gig in a RAID 0 configuration)
Firewire: OHIC compliant "plane jane" card

VV works pretty well with the above, and if you upgrade to a faster CPU, video, and RAM you are still in for "cheap"..... if you shop around.

Also, VV plays nicely in the M$ XP operating system sandbox!

The above MB can take any flavor of the socket 478 with 400mhz/533mhz DDR bus speeds, hyper threading, and will take up to 2gig of DDR RAM <;~).

Hope that helps.

Rgds.,
Dan
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Frank, in the past, you indicated you do a lot of travelling. If your budget allows, look for a well equpped laptop and add an external firewire drive. More expensive, but very usable with VV.
You could shoot and edit just about anywhere.
Also, the license from SonicFoundry license reads, you can install on a desktop and your laptop (basically more than one machine) just as long as you only use one copy at a time. That doesn't mean you can share a copy with a friend.

I got that directly from a SoFo support rep. Capture in the field, come back transfer to desktop, finish it up. wooohah!
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...