DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me how to achieve this..... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/485580-can-anyone-tell-me-how-achieve.html)

Gerald Webb October 2nd, 2010 07:02 AM

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this.....

Hey boys and girls,
heres a link to a vid,
YouTube - Short Stack: Sweet December
all through it after it hits the night scenes there are blue lens flares across the screen ( about 2min 1sec in is good example).
I know shooting into lights will give you flares, but these seem overly neat and a little artistic almost,
Is it filters? certain types of lenses?
Can anyone reproduce this in post ( I mean well, not just our standard Vegas lens flare :)
any input would be appreciated.

Jeff Harper October 2nd, 2010 07:38 AM

Try the Glint FX, particularly the mask one...it's movable and pretty cool.

James Binder October 2nd, 2010 11:08 AM

Looks like a Magic Bullet filter: anamorphic lens flare. Very easily applied in post.

Edward Troxel October 2nd, 2010 01:41 PM

NewBlue Light Effects also has a star effect that might work to achieve that for you as well.

Gerald Webb October 2nd, 2010 04:23 PM

thanks for getting back guys,
already tried the Glint, didnt look very natural.
Anamorphic lens flare from Mag Bullet was close, but again, it looks like an FX not Lens generated.
Havent tried New Blue, so cant comment on that.
I guess it just confirms what I thought, that its a Lens and/or filter effect generated at the point of capture.
Any camera buffs around?

Garrett Low October 2nd, 2010 09:25 PM

I'd say that the lens flares were done in post. There are several instances where there is no light source in the frame to produce that pattern of flare and in other instances there is camera movement and the flare stays stationary.

Just what I'm seeing but then I've been known to see some pretty weird stuff :)

-Garrett

Jeff Harper October 2nd, 2010 11:15 PM

It seems clear to me also it was done in post. Keep in mind the edit was likely done with a set of tools completely different than Vegas. Edit was likely done in FCP, or Avid.

Gerald Webb October 2nd, 2010 11:54 PM

yeah I know, the more I look at it , i think you guys are right, would love to know the fx used though.
It was shot on a RED cam and edited on AVID. I guess the possibilities are endless with the amount of plug ins available to AVID users.
The MB looks anamorphic flare is close but just not customizable enough.
Ill keep looking
:)

Dugi Barr October 3rd, 2010 02:56 AM

Could be
http://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/

Gerald Webb October 3rd, 2010 03:13 AM

HEY!!!!!!
BINGO!
thanks Dugi, great find. thats it, or if its not, its close enough.
Pour old Vegas lens flare wont see the light of day again, lol
thanks again.
:)

Jeff Harper October 3rd, 2010 04:47 AM

That plugin would do it for sure. Another painful reminder I haven't learned ae yet!

Gerald Webb October 3rd, 2010 05:18 AM

woo hoo!
downloading now.
kid with candy :))))))

Jim Snow October 3rd, 2010 10:24 AM

I didn't see any mention of Vegas compatibility for Video Copilot. Maybe I missed it. If so, can you point me to a link that indicates Vegas compatibility.

Jeff Harper October 3rd, 2010 10:37 AM

Programs are for after effects, Jim. create in AE than import and avi, etc into vegas. Technically they are compatible with any program, if you know AE.

Gerald Webb October 3rd, 2010 02:12 PM

yes, its a sad fact that if you want to do any more than simple cutting Vegas quickly falls by the wayside,
I've mentioned on here a few times that Sony really needs to come up with a motion graphics software like AFX or Apple Motion.
Until they do that, more and more people will jump ship to get that ease of use between programs.
It is so easy to be in Premiere Pro,
highlight a clip,
right click,
Replace with After Effects composition,
AFX opens up, you do 3d, lights, apply all the crazy fx you can do with it, then you go back to Premiere and your adjusted clip is just there on the timeline, without any rendering.

I go between Vegas and AFX, but i'm only doing small projects, so the lossless rendering doesnt hurt me too bad.
Ive said it before, Sony needs to lift its game, IMO if they offered a sister program with professional motion graphics, Vegas would start to be taken more seriously by the professionals.