MOV working better then AVI - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Trustee

Ok another update. Just for the heck of it I downloaded and installed the trial of Vegas 10 32 bit. I have been testing out the 64bit version but since some people mentioned great results with the 32bit version I figured I might give it a shot.

WOW

I can now play DV AVI at Best full quality with dissolves, track motion and color correction in RT on the same system. I can even add extra layers and filters if I drop down to preview half. Not bad for a cheap system.

AVCHD seems to work about the same which does playback in RT as long as there are no effects.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Interesting... that isn't something I'd thought of.

One other thought that just struck me, what mode were you using it in? 8bit or 32bit, colour that is. Perhaps the 64bit version defaults to 32bit projects, but the 32bit on defaults to 8bit?
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Trustee

Another thing I find interesting with the new Vegas 10 is that AVCHD plays back better then mpeg2 based material. I converted some of my 1280x720p 60p AVCHD clips in Vegas to a MXF template that matches the format and it will not play back at full framerate in the 32bit or 64bit version no matter what the preview window quality setting is at. AVCHD on the other hand will playback at the full 59.94 fps even at Best full quality.

How odd is it that I can edit AVCHD material better in Vegas then my footage from a SONY EX1? By the way I was even playing the AVCHD clips directly from a 6x SDHC card while the MXF footage was directly from a SATA drive.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...