Hmmm kinda urgent...Blank timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Hmmm kinda urgent...Blank timeline

Hi all,

Images speak louder than words so please take a look at the screens attached. All of the sudden the timeline is completely blank. The shot you see in the upper right corner is the first frame of the first clip.

The second screen shows you what happens when I try to resize the timeline area, as if it was hung or something. Thing is the CPU is not all busy and Vegas is the only running program.

Also, you can't see by looking at the screenshots, but I can go to any point in my edit as if all tracks were still there. If I right click anywhere the options are the right one.

But

If I right click on the left hand panel, the area where there is the track name, track options, compositing button etc... Vegas will crash.

Vegas was working 1/2 hour ago, I went to the grocery store, came back, launched Vegas and this is what happens now...I rebooted, tried to open other projects to no vail...I am completely baffled.

Any ideas?

Phil

**** Edit ****

Well it looks like I can open other projects and they will be fine. The current project the is giving me grief has two veg files in it's folder, the current one and an old "trim" veg file that I haven't open in months....both could not be corrupted...
Attached Thumbnails
Hmmm kinda urgent...Blank timeline-vegas-blank.jpg   Hmmm kinda urgent...Blank timeline-vegas-blank-resize.jpg  

Last edited by Phil Gosselin; October 5th, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Addendum
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you running any third party plugins? I've had .dlls cause some very strange behavior in the past. If so, remove the suspect .dll from it's folder and try to load the .veg file again.

That's all I can think of at the moment --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks James but I am not running any plug-in.

Actually I was able to open the project correctly but 1 out of every 2-3 attempts. I've decided to leave Vegas open...so far so good...

Thanks,

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I think I would try opening Vegas again, going to the copy of Vegas with the project open and do a CTRL-A + CTRL-C. Then go to the new empty copy of Vegas and do a CTRL-V. Now save this as a new file name and see how it works. The ONLY disadvantage of doing that is any track level effects will be gone.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Edward,

Turns out it is ok now. Damn I should have thought of this simple trick, you are absolutely right. I did try it once and it worked fine, thankfully this is a straight forward and simple project and no track level FX has been used. So worst case scenario in which I do have to copy the whole thing won't make me lose that much time.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...