Vegas 10 - XP64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 19th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 10 - XP64

Well I guess I was fooled by Sony just saying "64 bit" Vegas 10.

Tried to install and it asks for SP3 - which in so far as I can find out doesn't exist for XP64.

No way I even think about Win 7 until it's time for a new machine in 3 to 5 years or so. Guess I just have to run on Vegas 9 for a few more years.

Maybe though I could run XP32 under VMware and install Vegas 10 that way - or just forget about it.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Trustee

64 bit XP is pretty old gear, you must be running it for some special reason I guess.
What about a partition somewhere on your machine to install a small 64bit windows 7?
might get you updated without pulling the pin on your XP system.
PS. if I didnt think that humour was frowned upon in these forums, Id prob say...
"Jump on your brontosaurus and run down to the local Windows tablet shop and grab a new Operating system".
but sillyness is frowned upon so I wont say that.
:)
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas has NEVER supported XP-64 bit.

Vegas 10 requires XP SP3 and my understanding is that there was never a SP3 released for XP-64 meaning, no it will not work. It won't load on this laptop either as I'm still on SP2 and I'm reluctant to update to SP3.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, I'm running Vegas 9 quite happily on XP64 - true it's running in 32 bit mode but so what? I'm happy, and it's happy.

Re the brontosaurus - more of a T-rex.

I have a quite new BOXX i7 (whatever number the fastest i7 was a couple of years ago) w 24GB of memory as my main machine and it came with XP64 installed because as I recall Win 7 was just coming out or just out and not proven. Machine was mainly configured to run Cinema 4D, the RealFlow fluid simulator, Vue etc and something called Fry Render (similar I think to Maxwell Render ie a so called physically based renderer.) Think 3 to 5 day renders for a single 16 X 20 inch image on this machine with every core running flat out. I've been moving things off of my six year old XP system and thinking of retiring it and using it as a network render node until it fails.

Next machine is at least a couple of years away. Given a choice of staying with Vegas 9 vs tampering with my OS, that's a no brainer. Particularly since there's no upgrade from XP to Win 7 without having to reinstall all my software.

I might try the VMware route with Win 7 under VMWare though. I run VMWare on my MacBook and run Vegas under XP on it - works OK for what I'm likely to do on a notebook.

And just for kicks I run a Linux system under VMWare on the same machine. Works just fine and in the appropriate VMWare mode you just see app windows on the same desktop regardless of which OS they run under.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Major Player

I used to run Vegas 64-bit on XP64, version 9 that is

The 10.0a trial runs absolutely beautifully on my core 2 quad 9300 machine w/ 8GB RAM. Not a blazing computer by today's standards but they dramatically increased overall performance with the version 10 tweaks. I no longer have a need to upgrade the hardware.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...