Burn DVD from Vegas 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Burn DVD from Vegas 10

I'm trying to burn a DVD from the timeline and haven't had any success. I'm running Win 7 with a DVD-RW. The writing lead-in reaches 100% then hangs there. Write buffer shows 0% wih no time remaining. Hit cancel and I get the blue spinning wheel and still no response. Hit cancel a few more times and I get the Vegas Pro is not responding message and Vegas closes.

I had the exact same problem on this system with DVD Architect 5 and after working with Sony I eventually gave up and used ImageBurn to burn DVDs. I was really hoping this problem would have gone away when I upgraded from 8.1.

I haven't tried DVD Architect Pro 5.2 yet. Can someone give this a try and let me know if it works on your system? Thanks.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Also can't burn with DVD Architect 5.2

I've also tried to burn with DVD Architect and the same results. This time the DVD-RW was trashed. This is exactly the same thing I experienced with DVDA 5. When I was troubleshooting the problem at that time I found several people having the same problem and also switched to ImgBurn. Looks like I'll be contactacting Sony and try to nail this problem once and for all.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 10 can burn one of two ways: Using the previous method found in Vegas 9 and earlier or using the Microsoft IMAPI drivers. If it's not working with the current setting, you might try changing to the other.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Ed! I unclicked the "Use Legacy Drivers" option in Vegas and it worked! By having it unchecked, Microsoft Image Mastering API disk drivers are being used. Default is checked.

Unfortanately, I did not have the same good fortune with DVD Architect. I made the same change, and at first I thought it was going to work. Progress of the burn continued until burning lead out with 99% completion. The it just stayed there for about 5 minutes and eventually came up with an unknow error message. The disk stayed spinning and after pressing the eject button several times and waiting for 3-4 minutes the disk was ejected.

At least the disk wasn't ruined this time. I view it's contents and it didn't show any files were burned, but there was no free space available.

So for DVDA, the symptoms changed for burning a DVD but the outcome was similar. I'm going to try it again a few times just to be sure.

Thanks again for resolving the Vegas issue, that's great. I wonder why the legacy drivers are not working on my system.

Dave
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What brand DVD burner do you have in your system?
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Craig, the burner is a Pioneer DVR-218L with the latest and only firmware 1.02.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Major Player

This is an update on my DVD burning problem. I jury rigged an old Pioneer PATA burner through a USB adapter and I was able to burn both DVD-R and DVD-RW disks. I then went back to my original Pioneer DVR-218L and was also able to burn both disks.

Ed - I think changing to the Microsoft drivers as you suggested did fix the problem both in Vegas and DVD Architect. I may have had a bad disk when I first tried the MS driver with DVD Architect.That's the only explanation I can come up with.

I've also researched the Pioneer DVR-218L and there are numerous problem posts with it. Apparantly the the drive is basically a Lite-On drive and it doesn't use Pioneer's usual NEC chip set.

Thanks again Ed!
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #8
New Boot

Re: Burn DVD from Vegas 10

I discovered that Vegas 10 PRO will burn a DVD directly from the timeline, Just hit TOOLS/BURN DISC/DVD
and it makes a complete playable DVD. BUT, how do you control the file size? My 2-minute test video took up about one third of a 4GB DVD ! Would appreciate any help on this.
Richard Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Burn DVD from Vegas 10

I'll bet a 4 minute one would have taken exactly the same size. For compatibility, if I recall correctly, a certain amount of the DVD must be used.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...