Vegas on MacBook Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 25th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas on MacBook Pro

Okay, so I took the plunge. I'm very pleased with the new 17" Macbook Pro (i7, 8GB RAM, 2.66) and reasonably pleased with how it runs Vegas under BootCamp and Windows 7 Pro. There are a couple of issues, like Firewire 800 hates Windows, but that's a Windows thing and I don't use Firewire that much, anymore. And I discovered the eSATA card for my Express Card reader doesn't work under WIndows 7.

The thing runs hot when rendering complex stuff. The Mac nerds said not to worry about it, but I do so I searched the Net and came up with a cooling pad solution from Moshi. But like anything else Apple, it's three times as much as a PC cooling pad $(79.00 + tax from Amazon).

Otherwise, I love this computer. I run Vegas and the other Windows stuff I need, and FCP when some anal client insists I do.

BTW: As a side note, I read a post somewhere where a guy was complaining about someone he hired to do FCP editing, and the guy "didn't understand why he had to put heads and tails on clips he was using in crossfades"... which proves that the people who stump the loudest for FCP have never used Vegas.

Anyway... anyone else using this machine. Tricks? Tips?

Thangyew.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Ive been tossing this up for about 6 months now.
i would love to get a MacPro
Pros= build quality, battery life, I love OSX, everything just works without fiddling around for fixs, drivers, workarounds......
If I have a Mac and I'm on a holiday with no PC in reach and I'm forced to entertain myself with FCP, I may actually get the hang of it. Because Lord knows, Ive been having a dig off and on for about 9 months, its always the same story, I try for a few days, end up cursing at it and go running back to Vegas.

Cons= no Vegas, ( well not on OSX, and if I have to reboot every time I want Vegas in boot camp I may as well buy a PC for a third of the price), no e sata, those annoying little icons that jump up and down in the task bar when they want something.

Edward mentioned in another thread about Sager Notebooks,
i7, 12 gb ram, 3 drives, and very affordable.
Ill prob go that way I think.
If they made Vegas for Mac, they'd have me though.

this is amusing.....
YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I saw this recently, haven't tried it. But the guy loved it who was using it

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac
Jeff Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've pretty much converted to mac and OSX over the past 3 years, but I still have one dedicated Windows 7 machine solely for Vegas. I also use Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion on my Macbook Pros for editing while I'm on the road. I haven't tried Vegas 10 yet on my latest macbook pro - core i7 2.66GHz 15" model but I'm sure it will be impressive. My 2.33GHz core2 duo macbook 15" performs very well with Vegas Pro 9. For whatever reason, it actually renders projects (outputting H.264 using either mainconcept or SONY) considerably faster than my dedicated Core 2 Quad desktop machine.

At one point I purchased FCP thinking I was going to save some headaches by not having to boot into bootcamp for editing on the road, but after messing around with it for far too long I just gave up on it. I cannot stand Final Cut or Quicktime or anything to do with video on the mac. It's all horrible, horrible, clunky, slow, unintuitive junk. I can't for the life of me figure out how or why it ever became as popular as it did.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, no particular advice, but I can echo that editing in Vegas through BootCamp on my Macs is a perfect solution. I have win 7 installed on both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro 13, and run Vegas 9/10 on both. I do continue to occasionally use Final Cut as well, having the latest Final Cut Studio installed on both, but yes, I do eventually come running back to Vegas every time, cursing the mess that is "the industry standard" on the Mac. Why is Final Cut so popular when it makes editing video the most unpleasant of tasks? Have any of these FCP devotees ever tried Vegas?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:17 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holmes View Post
Have any of these FCP devotees ever tried Vegas?
I'm guessing - no :)
do you have any problems with any type of files, have you tried large projects 2-3 hrs, raw red files, cineform mov converts?
thanks!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

QUOTE: "I'm guessing - no :)
do you have any problems with any type of files, have you tried large projects 2-3 hrs, raw red files, cineform mov converts?
thanks!"
both
I used to have problems with large projects when I ran WinXP 32-bit and Vegas 32-bit with out of memory errors, but switched to Vegas 9 and now, 10, , both 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit and that took care of it. I also used to work with some DVCPro footage through RayLight, which was cumbersome, as well as Cineform, which gave me some trouble. The Cineform activations used to drive me nuts. Since I run Final Cut as well, I find that ProRes and the Avid DNX HD codec for encoding have replaced Cineform nicely.

That being said, most of my stuff these days is 2-3 hour projects, all HDV, with simple titles. Absolutely problem free. When I diverge from HDV, it's either Apple ProRes codec or footage straight from a 7D. No problems there.

I've downloaded some RED r3d files to play with and they slow waaaay down to 3-10 fps for preview. But I don't own a RED until Scarlet comes out (if then, even) so r3ds are not a real concern. I'm honestly more excited to see what Canon comes out with next... A Canon 5D MK3 that shoots to ProRes, with less aliasing and skew issues would be my preferred next camera.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I've been running Vegas under VMWare Fusion on my MB Pro - so far it works OK.

And I'm running Vegas 10 under VMware on mt XP64 machine with a Win 7 guest because Vegas 10 won't install on XP without SP3 - and there never was an SP3 for XP64.

Works OK!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Trustee

Awesome!
makes me think to get a nice i7 MBPro:
I love Mac's battery life, quiet operation and very nice design, the only thing that was parting me from it - FCP,
too bad we'll never see Vegas written for Mac OS
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dillon View Post
I saw this recently, haven't tried it. But the guy loved it who was using it

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac
I gave this a go on my 2.6ghz Intel iMac, was abysmal, got Win 7 installed, took about an hr to uncompress the files, takes maybe 3-5 min on my Pc,
It was just so choked I didnt even get to installing Vegas, while Windows was running, Mac wouldnt even play a HD movie in VLC.
Didnt really try anymore after that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...