Can't open v10, 32 bit, can't activate older 32 bit versions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't open v10, 32 bit, can't activate older 32 bit versions

Recently, I found that I could not install the latest driver for my nVidia graphics card, and one of the latest MS updates wouldn't install either (Vegas 8C, 9C-32, and 9E-64 - all working great). So, I re-constituted my boot drive from an image that I made just after getting my new i7-940 computer working. After that, I was able to install the updates, but then I had a much worse problem:

Vegas 9-32 wouldn't open- stalls at "Initializing DirectX plugins (V9-64 opened as always).

And 8c-32 wouldn't activate, even when I opened the form on the Vegas website and gave it the serial number and computer code (the automated response said they were incorrect!).

I uninstalled both and installed 10a-32. It activated, but wouldn't open. Same as V9-32, it gets stuck at "Initializing DirectX Plugins."

I've closed down all unnecessary stuff running in background, re-tried everything as Administrator, cleaned my registry with Registry Booster, etc. I also uninstalled and re-installed DirectX, and .NET Framework.

I've been using this re-constituted boot disk for at least a week and everything else seems to work as before; and I've never had a problem with a Paragon image before. Even before updating my nVidia card driver or the MS updates, I was not able to open 9c-32 on this reconstituted boot disk.

I do remember that 9c-32 was occasionally getting stuck while loading the DirectX plugins . . . but it would open OK after trying again (perhaps after a reboot - I don't recall).

9e-64 continues to run and render flawlessly.

If anyone can solve this, they merit a genius award! SUGGESTIONS?
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You need to look to see what DirectX plugins you have installed. Then see if you can deactivate any that look odd until you find the one stopping Vegas. You might check with Sony and see if there's a log you could look at that tells you which specific plugin it's failing on.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Larry,

Check to see if you have installed Microsoft SP3 on your computer?

Matthew
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks - I should have mentioned that I'm running Win7-64, and I don't believe any SPs have been released yet; in any case, all automatic updates have installed flawlessly.

Ed- good suggestion. I'll try to follow up on that when I get a few moments. . . but I'm still stuck with the problem of no longer being able to activate either 8c or - after uninstalling and trying to re-install - 9x-32bit versions (I've tried several)

I did find that a later Paragon image that I re-constituted onto a spinning disk instead of my SSD has everything working, but I still cannot update the nVidia driver, nor does one of the MS updates unstall (for .NET Framework). I found that this image also works on my SSD, but with the same driver/MS-update failures.

I may wind up using that image on my SSD despite being unable to get the updates to work, but I'm concerned that, without the MS patch, I may be more vulnerable to rogue web attacks that could get through my MS firewall. At least I don't have to worry much about going to a bad website, for I do almost all my work on the web in my virtual (VMWare) Linux OS . . . maybe that'll see me through.

In any case, thanks again for the suggestions - Larry
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...