imovie 9 and sony vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Major Player

imovie 9 and sony vegas

If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance. But having done a rough edit in imovie9, am I now committed to staying within mac editing software? Or is there a way to convert .mov files to something Vegas could recognize without losing any quality?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know about iMovie .movs. I think they're different than FCP .mov files. What you can do, however, is download (for free) Mpeg Streamclip, then use it to convert the files to .avi.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Wrangler

iMovie transcodes video to the Apple Intermediate Codec, AIC for short. Unfortunately the AIC playback is not available for Windows, so you'll have to transcode the video one more time to get it to playback on a Windows PC. Your best bet is to re-import your video on a PC, preferably using Sony Vegas.

But you will lose the edits you made in iMovie, I have not come across any successful way to translate edits to Vegas, except for very simple one track edits. ** I have successfully, made edits in iMovie, and then transferred the edits to FCP, which then went to Premiere on the PC, but I was careful to start with a video file format that was cross-platform compatible, in my case Cineform.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #4
Trustee

One more bad thing, if your original was 1080p / i, iMovie renders its own file @ 960x540, so anything that comes out of imovie is permanently degraded by half.
But, you can save your project file and open it up in FCP, as long as FCP has access to the source footage, you could export dnxhd, or animation if you have enough space, and then put it on a PC and have a lossless transition between platforms.
Old November 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm working with footage shot on the older Sony HC-3 but I imported it at the "full size" 1920x1080 (rather than "large size"). So I"m going to be burned in the export process no matter what I do, whether I convert files for PC consumption or whether I import into FCP (which I'd obviously rather not do)?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #6
New Boot

interesting for me, thanks
Bredly Root is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...