New DIY PC For Sony Vegas 9.0 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Adam,

What RAM do you use specifically? I found this Crucial kit [Three Channel] (12GB 1333 DDR3 RAM): Newegg.com - Crucial 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model CT3KIT51272BB1339

Two of these would max me out at 24GB, but again it is not on the QLV (Qualified Vendors List) for this motherboard. Do I risk it and go for it?

Man, $362 for 12GB seems high!

Thanks.
Spiro Kalogeropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Trustee

I got G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL. I ordered one set of three first to test they will fit next to each other (they seemed thick on the photo). When they came, they fit in nicely, so I ordered another set of three.

No, it is not in the motherboard manual, but it fits the specs (especially the part of needing less that 1.65 V, which the manual emphasized as very important), plus the manual says it can figure out how to work with just about any memory. I do not expect any trouble, but I will only be able to tell whether/how it works once I get my power supply. Newegg has yet to ship it, unfortunately, so I will not receive it until next week.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Personally, I try very hard to only buy Kingston RAM. Not only do I think that they're some of the best, but I have the greatest respect for John Tu and David Sun and the way they run their business and look after their employees. If more companies followed their example, not only do I think we'd have much better companies overall, but working for them would be far more rewarding.

However, sometimes those value RAM packs are hard to beat though.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I also use gskill. It's the best value I have found. I've used Corsair, Crucial and Kingston..fine stuff, but overkill for my purposes. I overclock 2.67 to 3.5 and the ram works perfectly. 2nd PC with gskill and I'm a happy camper.

There may be some advantages with the bigger names I'm missing out on, but I don't know what that is.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Well, I went ahead and placed the order for the following items:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic LED Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink Rev.1 with TX-3 & 1156 Brackets

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound – OEM

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP12GX3M3A1600C9

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders – OEM

I hope everything works out ok. Thanks to everyone for their great comments and input.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #21
Trustee

You also need a power supply, Spiro.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

unstable power supply voltages are a major cause of system instability during render. Usually, the 80%+ (efficiency) power supplies probably are better built than the cheap ones - but efficiency is not necessarily related to voltage regulation.

Corsair power supples generally are considered good just now; I put one in my last computer and it has proved its extra cost. I previously had an off-brand with good specs, but it went bad in a year or so.

This time again I got an off-brand with good specs (and bargain price, with excellent case); works well, but for how long?
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Spiro, I run two power supplies, one for the hard drives only and one for everything else. I'll never go back to running just one. It makes for a nice, stable setup.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I didn't think to check if my existing power supply would be enough. I believe it's a Zalman power supply (not sure of the KW), and I remember that I went with more than I needed at the time (2 years ago), so I'll have to check to see if it's enough. My current power supply was powering an Intel Dual Core Processor with 4GMB of RAM and three hard drives.

This time I'll have two internal drives, and will be running an externally powered G-Technologies G-Speed ES Hard Drive Raid Array system (via a PCIe card). Will also be runing the ATI Video Card, a UAD-2 Duo Card (for music mixing plug-ins), an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card, an a DVD Burner. Do you guys know roughly what I'll need to run this system with regards to power?

Thanks!
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #25
Inner Circle

750 should be more than sufficient. If you have an extra few $$ get 1000 or 1200 and you'll never have to worry about it again.
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

OK, here's what I currently have for a power supply. It's a 600W Rosewill, not Zalman. Let me know if you guys think this will run the system i just purchased:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply

Thanks!
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #27
New Boot

I have had this Rosewill PSU in one of my PC's for a couple of years now.

Newegg.com - Rosewill Libertas Series LIB-650 650W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Full Modular, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active PFC, Compatible with Core i7, i5 Power Supply

$20 more, but you might find the modular style well worth it...

If not, I believe your choice is fine.
Gregory Gatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #28
Inner Circle

600 should work. The funny thing about power supply is when you have issues with being underpowered it shows up a strange ways that you cannot alway pinpoint. Happened to me with a 550 long ago.

600 should work fine. I wouldn't go that low, but that I'm a fanatic on having headroom.

Newegg and corsair have PSU calculators. Use them both and figure it out that way. Alway go higher rather than lower and you'll be fine.
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #29
Inner Circle

You're also missing a Video Card. A GTX 460 1GB should be decent enough for games and editing.

A Corsair HX650 is what I use, and it hasn't failed me yet, even after accidentally shorting it and it's internal protection kicked in.

750w should only be for if you're planning a higher overclock.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Hey Jack,

This is the video card I'll be using (Carrying it over from the PC I'm upgrading):

ATI Radeon? HD 2600 Series Overview

I think that should be enough to run HD video via Vegas Pro.

Thanks!
Spiro Kalogeropoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...