Vegas 9 vs Vegas 10 performance differences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 15th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 9 vs Vegas 10 performance differences

I have put up my Vegas 9 license for sale in the classifieds.

What is the consensus on Vegas 10? Am I mistaken, or is there less than usual discussion about this upgrade than previous versions?

I edit straigforward corporate and wedding videos, and doubt that I'll benefit from any of the changes...how does it perform in timeline performance with m2t files compared to Vegas 9....about the same? I imagine rendering speed is about the same...am I right?
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Overall, I like 10. Yes, there's some bugs - but any software of this size will have some bugs. I know they are working on the next update. But there's many new features - probably my favorite is the new OpenFX plugin API which really expands the capability and variety of plugins once manufacturers start supporting it. We've already seen updates from NewBlueFX and BorisFX and I would expect to see others available going forward.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward.

How is timeline peformance vs 9? How about rendering speed?

Anyone tested it, is it pretty much the same for m2t files?

What excactly does the much touted GPU accelerator do to improve things?
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #4

The speed is about the same for me - most of my stuff is DV, though. Other formats (like videos from still cameras) got a huge speed increase. I haven't seen anything get worse - speedwise - in what I've done.

The GPU Acceleration is only available when rendering to the Sony AVC renderer. There is no GPU acceleration during preview.
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Edward, what is Sony AVC? I imagine if I don't know what it is I don't need to know, but I'm curious. Is it a consumer version of AVCHD, or what? Or the Sony version of AVCHD?
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #6

File - Render As - then pick Sony AVC as the file type. Click on "Custom" and you can see the GPU option listed in the "Encode Mode".
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Major Player

I just test out a 1 minutes video clip render Sony avc. I rendered 2 exact clip, one render with CPU only and the other with GPU encoded. With GPU option, it renders almost 1 minutes faster. I was expecting way faster. My PC is i7 920 6gigs ram. Nivida GTX260 card.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

My first series of projects on v10 have involved lots of greenscreen compositing of Canon 5d clips over large jpgs. I've been very pleased with the increases in timeline performance for the dSLR clips.

Not being yet involved in 3D, for me v10 has been a quiet but effective upgrade. Haven't cut any hdv with it, haven't yet done any AVC renders, but I'm sure I will.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Trustee

Render speeds VS v9 seems similar. The nice thing is it works pretty well on my desktop with mov native from 5D2. IT is a little slower in my Alienware laptop. However I m getting this black screen problems which my clips playback as black screens. IT happens for both previews and sometimes on the timeline. works at first then after some editing it plays a blank screen!

Not sure if there is something wrong but my desktop is indeed a little cranky. I'm going to observe if the same happens on the Alien laptop.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It is ironic that I would first read about the most serious issues the day after I sold my Vegas 9 license...in this and other threads.

On the other hand, at $149 for the upgrade I would have to buy it now anyway. I'll be leaving vegas 9 on my workstation until 9.b comes out, if not c. The first release of an upgrade is always buggy.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
It is ironic that I would first read about the most serious issues the day after I sold my Vegas 9 license...in this and other threads.

On the other hand, at $149 for the upgrade I would have to buy it now anyway. I'll be leaving vegas 9 on my workstation until 9.b comes out, if not c. The first release of an upgrade is always buggy.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, and I personally don't care, but I don't think Vegas licensing works that way (e.g., you can't sell your CDs/license and keep the software on your box, and for that matter, sell your license and just keep the upgrade). But then again, I'm probably clueless about these things.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote: "...and I personally don't care," If you don't care then you wouldn't have posted.

I can legitimately upgrade AFTER I sell my license, and yes technically I should remove it but since I'm upgrading who really cares? I called Sony and they laughed. The rep promised no one would come and arrest me.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 23rd, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:21 PM   #13

You can legally sell your license for older copies (and keep the upgrade). However, if you upgrade to 10 and sell your license for 9, you cannot legally keep 9 on your machine. Sony is very lenient in letting you sell your older, NO LONGER USED, versions.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Quote: "...and I personally don't care," If you don't care then you wouldn't have posted.

I can legitimately upgrade AFTER I sell my license, and yes technically I should remove it but since I'm upgrading who really cares? I called Sony and they laughed. The rep promised no one would come and arrest me.
Actually, I can easily not care (who does and doesn't have a legit copy) and post anyway because I ended up learning something about Vegas licensing in the process (which helps inform what I may or may not do, which is something I do care about). And BTW, this is why I explicitly used the words "I think" and "I'm probably clueless."
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Well, you learned something, and so did I.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...