DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best render settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/487621-best-render-settings.html)

Jack Duggan November 17th, 2010 02:24 PM

Best render settings

So, I have searched through the forums and found some good info on this topic but nothing that just simply answers my question so here it is.
I am filming with a Canon XHA1s, (HDV - 1440x1080 with 1:30 pixel aspect ratio, NTSC, 23.976 fps). I use project settings for 1440x1080, Best video quality, 1:3 pixel aspect ratio, Guassian blur, and deinterlace via interpolating fields, no field order (progressive). All this for a final output to DVD.

What is the best render format and setting to achieve the highest quality?

So far everything I have tried looks "o.k" but not great.

Steven Reid November 17th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Duggan (Post 1589029)
So, I have searched through the forums and found some good info on this topic but nothing that just simply answers my question so here it is.
I am filming with a Canon XHA1s, (HDV - 1440x1080 with 1:30 pixel aspect ratio, NTSC, 23.976 fps). I use project settings for 1440x1080, Best video quality, 1:3 pixel aspect ratio, Guassian blur, and deinterlace via interpolating fields, no field order (progressive). All this for a final output to DVD.

What is the best render format and setting to achieve the highest quality?

So far everything I have tried looks "o.k" but not great.

I shoot on an XH-A1 with otherwise identical settings. A general consensus that I've read here and on the Sony forums is that Vegas' MPEG compression works very well, in contrast to its down-rezzing engine that is gather is just OK. Well, at least I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Therefore, I, like many others, export from Vegas to at least a visually lossless if not mathematically lossless format, e.g., an avi using Lagarith or Cineform codecs, down-rez that avi to 720 x whatever in the free program VirtualDub using the Lanczos algorithm, import the down-rezzed avi back into Vegas, and THEN render to MPEG-2 format for DVD authoring. Within Vegas, prior to rendering, I also specify 8Mbps CBR one-pass since my projects are pretty short. You can get details on this whole procedure by searching on Virtual Dub, etc.

DVD's that I make by this method look absolutely outstanding on my Samsung 52" TV. Razor sharp. Granted, my DVD player (a Samsung Blu-ray) has uprezzing circuitry that helps. One viewer actually asked me if I was showing him a Blu-ray. Nope. Just plain ol' DVD.

HTH,
Steve

Jack Duggan November 18th, 2010 12:55 PM

Hey Steve,
Thanks so much for the help. I'm going to have to check out those programs and that work flow, "outstanding" is the goal I'm shooting for. Let me ask another question about rendering. I have read some things that say setting the field order to lower first is best, others say progressive is best. What do you think?

Steven Reid November 18th, 2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Duggan (Post 1589372)
Hey Steve,
Thanks so much for the help. I'm going to have to check out those programs and that work flow, "outstanding" is the goal I'm shooting for. Let me ask another question about rendering. I have read some things that say setting the field order to lower first is best, others say progressive is best. What do you think?

First, the only program I mention is VirtualDub. Lagarith and Cineform are codecs; the former is free, the latter comes in several flavors, respective prices, and it's files are a fraction of the sizes of the former.

Second, if your source footage is progressive, then render with field order as progressive. I've read anecdotes about setting the interlace method to something other than progressive to achieve best looking results, even though you have progressive footage. But I never have field order other than progressive (for 24p).

I kept my previous above pretty brief, thinking you could easily find the whole workflow from more comprehensive threads here. I'm pretty computer savvy and I did not read any help file or manual for VirtualDub. If you're comfy with Vegas, then VD is a snap.

Steve

Jack Duggan November 24th, 2010 12:30 PM

thatnks

Hey Steven, I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I used the work flow you gave me, from Vegas to Vdub and back to Vegas. Sure enough, it looks GREAT! I am having an audio problem though, is there any specific steps you take in the audio? I have kept all of the setting to high quality and still there is some pops and crackling.

Steven Reid November 24th, 2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Duggan (Post 1591589)
Hey Steven, I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I used the work flow you gave me, from Vegas to Vdub and back to Vegas. Sure enough, it looks GREAT! I am having an audio problem though, is there any specific steps you take in the audio? I have kept all of the setting to high quality and still there is some pops and crackling.

Well, Jack, it's good to hear about your video. It seems that everyone has their own favorite HD-->SD recipe, but I swear by mine. Like grandma's cookies, it's good every time. ;)

You say you STILL hear pops and crackling, suggestion that you had them at some point before all the manipulations. Correct? If so, where in your workflow was that? How do your HDV clips sound right out of the A1? If the audio pops are there, then obviously I would look at a camera or capture problem. So, step 1 is: where is the genesis of the audio problem?

As you may know, audio in HDV mode is recorded in the lossy MPG format. When I render my HD project as an avi (Cineform) from Vegas, I just keep the audio tagging along in PCM format (wav). Ingest into VirtualDub for downrezzing, then make sure to specify (I forget the exact VDub menu) "keep audio", again in PCM format, before you save the new, downrezzed avi. So I take hit in audio within the A1, but from that point forward, I'm always manipulating uncompressed PCM audio (which, of course, took a hit when uncompressing from lower bit rate output of the A1.)

I have never had an audio glitch that wasn't my fault (i.e,. while shooting), and certainly none that cropped up or trailed me during the workflow we've been discussing.

Without knowing more about when and how your pops and crackles came to be, I can't suggest anything else at this point. Tinker and post back with results.

Steve

Jack Duggan November 26th, 2010 05:47 PM

Hey Steven, Again thanks for the help. As far as the popping and clicking I didn't have any until after I down res out of vdub. I'll go through it again and make sure that I use the PCM format.