DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   MPEG2 Encoding - slight blurring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/487890-mpeg2-encoding-slight-blurring.html)

Craig Kovatch November 22nd, 2010 02:53 PM

MPEG2 Encoding - slight blurring

I'm new to nonlinear editing and the MPEG encoding process, and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I just put together a 60 sec. piece, rendered it as an MPEG 2 file for Blu-ray using the default template, and burnt the project to dvd. Now the project has this slight blurring effect whenever the camera pans. If the subject moves, they have a slight blur as well. It looks like a bad PAL/Secam transfer, what I would call "Soviet TV". Whether I view the clip on my PC monitor through Media Player, or play the DVD on my PS3, the blur is there. When there is no movement, the image is very crisp. This is not a result of motion blur from the LCD panel, as the raw xdcam footage does not exhibit this blur, other than what is inherent by shooting with 1/60 shutter. Is this just part of the encoding process? I'm almost thinking it has something to do with deinterlacing, but i'm dealing with progressive source material through the entire process. I've even tried encoding as an AVI file, and letting DVD Architect covert to MPEG2. The blur is still there. I also tried burning direct to disc within Vegas, but nothing changed.

Thanks.

Craig.

Rob Wood November 22nd, 2010 04:10 PM

does the frame-rate of source and output match? ie: is one of them 23.976 and the other 24? (this would give a result similar to what u describe)

Craig Kovatch November 23rd, 2010 04:45 PM

Perfect. Thanks for the tip. Bitter sweet though. I haven't had the camera all that long, and shot some footage in 24p and some in 30p not realizing how they'd look when rendered.. If I put them all on a 30p timeline, the 24p is going to have that blurry effect. If I put them all on a 24p timeline, i'm not sure how the 30p material will fair.

Thanks again.

Rob Wood November 23rd, 2010 06:37 PM

try right-clicking the footage on your timeline, select Properties (at bottom), then "Disable resample".
choose a section where the blurriness occurs and RAM preview (CTRL-B) the footage so it runs at full fps.

this'll force frame-interpolation, so every frame on-screen is a full-frame with no info from previous or next frame present... the downside is some frames may be doubled or may not appear at all (depending on whether its 24 in 30, or 30 in 24)... this may give motion judder... but it depends on the kind of motion in the frame.

the other way to go is to "Force resample" (frame-blending), which may lead to the motion-blur u experienced.

based on what u said, it sounds like Disable is gonna be your preferred route.