Vegas 10 Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 10 Question

Before i shell out another 150.00 for an upgrade, Outside of the 3d option and high end codecs

does it now have a better play back rate in the preview window than the version 9 64 bit version.

Is the 64 bit version sounder than 9?

What would its greatest asset be for those of us working primarily in HDV.

thank you.
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Dale, if you think you are going to upgrade sometime in the next YEAR - go ahead and do it NOW. You can save $100 through the end of the month - even if you don't install it for another 6 months. For preview rates - for some formats it's faster - especially still camera video formats. I don't know of any that are slower - I'm guessing DV is about the same or, at least, it feels about the same to me.

I do really like the 64-bit version. I haven't run the 32-bit version at all. It does require SP3 on XP and my 32-bit machine has XP-SP2 so it won't install there and I don't want to risk the update to SP3. Vista requires SP2 and I did update that machine to accept Vegas Pro 10.

To me, the biggest update is not 3D - it's the new OpenFX plugin API. That could open a whole new world of plugin support and also now gives Vegas a frame access API which was lacking in the older API.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Also, way fewer program crashes with Canon 5d video, in addition to the preview improvements for this video. (9-64 bit vs. 10-64 bit) This leads me to think that there are overall stability increases in the 64-bit version, but it may just be that Vegas 10 doesn't call QT for this media.

I've already been having fun with the OpenFX version of the NewBlue plugins, in my limited experience they are more easily controlled than the DX versions.

But, you gotta' ask yourself - will you *really* not be editing dSLR video? I don't have one, and I do have an HDV cam, and I've been cutting nothing but dSLR. The pictures are very pretty, low-light performance is great, the equipment is relatively inexpensive. Audio sucks, of course... but, dSLR has taken my town by storm.
Old November 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thank you Seth and Edwartd!!

I may get a dslr in the next year or so so I will go ahead, particular for the 64 bit and preview improvement. that is what I wanted to hear!!!
Old November 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Are people editing DSLR footage native ? I thought it was still recommended to convert with something like cineform for editing and color correction ?
Old November 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, I'm editing dSLR native on the timeline, it's working fine for me.

Whether this is a best practices approach for digital cinema I couldn't say, but it is fine for the web clips I'm currently working on. They look great, though it's not real demanding material.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Dale, if you think you are going to upgrade sometime in the next YEAR - go ahead and do it NOW. You can save $100 through the end of the month - even if you don't install it for another 6 months. For preview rates - for some formats it's faster - especially still camera video formats. I don't know of any that are slower - I'm guessing DV is about the same or, at least, it feels about the same to me.

I do really like the 64-bit version. I haven't run the 32-bit version at all. It does require SP3 on XP and my 32-bit machine has XP-SP2 so it won't install there and I don't want to risk the update to SP3. Vista requires SP2 and I did update that machine to accept Vegas Pro 10.

To me, the biggest update is not 3D - it's the new OpenFX plugin API. That could open a whole new world of plugin support and also now gives Vegas a frame access API which was lacking in the older API.
Sony Web site has the upgrade listed at $239-download version, $249 for "Reduced Packaging Box." Do I still get a printed manual with this, or just a PDF file? I sure prefer a book, as it is much easier to read and reference, then a stapled wad of 8x11 paper printed from my printer. I laugh at their "Sony saving the environment" with reduced packaging. By the way, How do I get the extra $100 off? Does that end today - 11/30, or go through December. Thanks - PK
P.S. - When I enter my Vegas Pro 8 serial # for the upgrade, it keeps responding with "The serial number you entered is not a valid serial number for this upgrade purchase. Please try again."

Last edited by Paul Kepen; November 30th, 2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Additional Question
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Sony Creative Software - Online Store - Upgrade to Vegas Pro 10 from Vegas is the reduced price link but you better hurry as the offer expires tonight.

It's only been a PDF since, as I recall, version 6.
You can always have it printed a a place like Kinko's or similar.
Not sure what the charge would be for a 550 page (225 if it's double sided) manual though.

edit: go to the Sony site at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/ and look under My Account - My Software to make sure you have the correct serial number.
All your Sony products will be listed there, assuming you did register them.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I thought v.9 was a train wreck. Unusable.

v.10 is great so far, especially in regards to what others have said about native AVCHD/DSLR files. And I'm loving that 64 bit environment though I sure wish my Magic Bullet worked in it. Much faster renders. I think the promo expires tonight. Hurry! It's worth it.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

I thought v.9 was a train wreck. Unusable.

And yet I used it to edit MANY projects - and continue to use it weekly for edits at church (they really didn't need to upgrade to 10 as it would not benefit them right now).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The user experience for Vegas 9 seemed to vary for many people, unlike for example version 5 and 6 which seemed universally praised for stability. Anyway, my v.9 issues seemed to snowball. First annoying thing was still images would go black frame or red frame. Then I started getting RAM errors, then finally it just started crashing and giving other error messages. I was using Vista and a Dell. Two words to make one shudder. But, same Dell i7 but with W7 and Vegas 10, happy days are here again.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I was using Vista and a Dell. Two words to make one shudder.
For what it's worth, my primary PC is a Dell running Vista and I've never had any issues with it... ever.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Same here. I have am doing all my editing on a Dell (XP 420 ?) with Vista even now. I am considering updating to Windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of that now, but still running clean. Ran Vegas 9 just fine, too.

There always seems to be a small percentage of users that have problems. Sometimes its the same ones over and over again, and one wonders if they are running some hardware or program that is conflicing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...