Color Grading at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Grading

I'm not sure if this is science or really art, but I'm having a heck of a time color grading and getting decent results. What looks good on my computer monitor, generally doesn't show up so good once burnt to disc and displayed on a tv. The contrast seems higher on a tv set. Even trying to grade on a computer monitor is at times tough. I think it might come down to the way the material was shot. It might even be the profiles within the camera. Do you guys have any tips, just some guide lines, from camera to DVD, that might help?
I'm just wondering if I should even be using Vegas.

Thanks.

Craig
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is a perennial issue round here. Searching around is probably your best bet, as this sort of question is a thread for an answer, not just one reply =)

Here is one Gerald started about colour correcting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...orrection.html

Your issue where the computer and the TV look so different are actually expected. Take a read through that, and any other you find here. One of the best technical references you can find on colour and colour spaces in Vegas is here:

Color spaces and levels in Sony Vegas 9

Hope this helps,
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link. I did some reading on EX1 profiles, and that seems to play a huge part in how well XDCAM footage grades.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
New Boot

One part (but not all) of the problem might be due to white balance. Finding that the built-in white balance color correction tool was not matching my needs, I developed my own white balance correction software, and packaged it as a Vegas Pro plug-in.

You may find more information on it (and also download a free eval) here: FBM Software White Balance Plug-in.

Another part of the problem might also be the color calibration of your various screens/TVs. Applying ICC profiles might be useful in this case.

Hope this helps,
Frédéric
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Trustee

Craig, I have spent a lot of time learning how to cc in Vegas. I must say the stuff from Magic Bullet's tutorials was what cut it. I own MAgic Bullet Looks but i no longer use it. Because i have managed to tweet the colours manually with the colour wheel.

As Frederic says, step one is to correct the white balance. Step 2 you would be tweeting the shawdows and highlights plus the saturation and gain. This few settings are sufficient to see some differences.

This is what i CC within Vegas. No plugins at all. Only problem is there is no tracker tool like Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve which is... another league of tool. Good luck!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

1) yes u can use Vegas to do grading.

2) if you're grading for TV, use a broadcast monitor to grade with... there's a bunch of workarounds and many people here don't do it this way, but it makes life easier if you grade using a monitor that's in the target format... it's the simplest* and most accurate way to get the expected result.

3) the contrast issue is a colorspace thing... you're grading in RGB (computer) but outputting to YUV (television). if the media is all midtones, you won't notice it as much, but anything with high contrast or full-range will be off.

4) if u wanna get up to speed more quickly on this subject look for a DVD called
"Absolute Training for Vegas+DVD, Vol. 4: Color Correction, Enhancement and Image Restoration"... it's old but exactly on-topic... there's also books by Steve Hullfish on this but tho deeper they do not discuss Vegas... i'd suggest getting the DVD first then consider the books if desired.

* depending on your gear/workflow/knowledge, "simplest" may not be the word that'll spring to your mind while getting the monitor into your setup :) ...i probably should have said "once properly configured, this is the simplest/most accurate way to grade for TV/DVD"

also also... there is much to read here on this subject by many people (tho i still think the CC DVD is your best starting point as it provides a clear understanding of how to correct/grade in Vegas)

gl hf!
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Siow Teng + Celine // A Beautiful Mistake on Vimeo
BTW, Great Movie!
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Craig, I have spent a lot of time learning how to cc in Vegas. I must say the stuff from Magic Bullet's tutorials was what cut it. I own MAgic Bullet Looks but i no longer use it. Because i have managed to tweet the colours manually with the colour wheel.

As Frederic says, step one is to correct the white balance. Step 2 you would be tweeting the shawdows and highlights plus the saturation and gain. This few settings are sufficient to see some differences.

Siow Teng + Celine // A Beautiful Mistake on Vimeo

This is what i CC within Vegas. No plugins at all. Only problem is there is no tracker tool like Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve which is... another league of tool. Good luck!
Sean, that film is Beautiful. I love actors who aren't actors - acting great!

GREAT FILM!
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Patience Craig :)

Cheers.
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #10
Major Player

I really enjoyed that movie.
Well done!!
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Trustee

Thks guys! I have been told many times Vegas can't make it but I have come to learn that very much depends on the editor. Although my stuff is not perfect but it meets my requirements for wedding work. I really hope to see Vegas getting more plugins soon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...