problem with downscaling fullHD to dvd - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Do you still do a separate AC3 audio render in this method?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Do you still do a separate AC3 audio render in this method?
Not sure whether you're replying to my post, but the general rule is if you are rendering to mpeg-2 in preparation for DVDA, you should render w/o audio and then render a separate ac3 with the same primary name (and in the same folder).

It's been a while since I've tried this, but I'm pretty sure you can render an mpeg-2 with audio, and import it to DVDA. But then DVDA will re-render if for you - not very efficent.

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Amende View Post
Not sure whether you're replying to my post, but the general rule is if you are rendering to mpeg-2 in preparation for DVDA, you should render w/o audio and then render a separate ac3 with the same primary name (and in the same folder).

It's been a while since I've tried this, but I'm pretty sure you can render an mpeg-2 with audio, and import it to DVDA. But then DVDA will re-render if for you - not very efficent.

...Jerry
Hi Jerry, actually I've always used your quick and dirty method because, welll, it's quick and dirty. But I'd like to raise the bar this time because I have a big presentation and want it to look as good as possible. I was referring to this post by Gerald Web, using a method I believe Peronne initially came up with. Here:

Somebody should really do a sticky about resizing Hd to Sd. It comes up about every week, it just shouldn't cause this much grief.
I know there are lots of workflows, but the simple one that never fails, and seems to be used by a lot of people a lot more clever than me, always works.....

1. Edit in Hd, export to square pixels (1440x1080 1.33 aspect pixels become 1920x1080 square pixels) full Hd in a near lossless codec of your choice.
2. Drop it into Virtual dub, apply the Resize filter to SQUARE PIXEL Sd, This seems to be where it goes wrong for a lot of people-
PAL Sd Widescreen is 1048x576 which equals 720 (which is horizontal width) x 1.4568 (which is PAL widescreen pixel aspect ratio).
So,
NTSC Sd widescreen would be 872x480 which equals 720 (which is horizontal width) x 1.2121 (which is NTSC widescreen pixel aspect ratio).

Then export from Virtualdub to Lagarith lossless codec, and then bring it into you DVD authoring program of choice.
All the DVD programs Ive used know exactly what to do with the square pixel files and you shouldn't have to play with aspect ratios at all, just choose PAL or NTSC and they get it right straight away, well this goes for Architect, Adobe Encore, and my personal fave, Nero Vision.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...