rendering full HD to mpeg2 or avchd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

rendering full HD to mpeg2 or avchd?

I realize rendering questions are asked all the time, but:

I need to create a file (not a bluray) with my 5 min long film shot in 1920x1080, and edited in Movie Studio, stereo sound. I want great video quality, but I want to make sure it plays well on most decent laptops (e.g. dual core ~2.8GHz).
AVCHD plays fine on my PC, but it might not be ok for above???

Should I use mpeg2 instead, and what settings? anything else?
Thanks.
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What operating systems? Bear in mind that AVC playback wasn't a part of Windows until Windows 7, less than two years ago. Anything older than that, while it may have the horsepower, won't necessarily have the codec ready to go. If you're planning on passing your video file around to friends, MPEG-2 is certainly the most compatible way to go. To provide quality closest to your original video you'll need a somewhat higher bitrate with MPEG-2 than with AVC. Some experimentation is probably worthwhile. Viewing your video on the "small screen" also minimizes the appearance of compression artifacts, so unless you need the same render to withstand viewing on a 50" plasma, you might get away with less.

Not sure what to expect of Macs.

Best,
Aaron
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks, mpeg2 it is.
I don't know much about the laptop/pc to be used - it's for a festival. I hate to keep asking questions the organizer, especially that he doesn't appear very clear regarding technical issues.
So knowing this, or not knowing much :), what mpeg2 settings experienced people would recommend, bps in particular?
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I see. Well, "festival" might make things trickier. :) I'd definitely be pressing the for the details! I haven't submitted anything for a festival before, but I've read quite a few sets of submission guidelines. Many accept (or expect!) the form of your original submission to be standard-def DVD, or else some similarly-accessible format. If chosen for exhibition, professional master formats such as Digital Betacam, HDCam, etc., are later requested. So definitely find out if at all possible! If the submission guidelines are vague or ambiguous, maybe seek out a former participant and see what they got away with. :)

Ignoring the festival issue for a moment: 40Mbit/s is tops for MPEG-2 on Blu-ray, and IMO it looks pretty darn good. In the interest of compatible file-based distribution of some of my work, together with an interest in putting it on Blu-ray, I've done a number of 40Mbit/s MPEG-2 renders based on 24Mbit/s AVCHD from the NX5 and have been pleased with the results (even played on large screens).

Best,
Aaron
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #5
Trustee

hmmmmm, I may be off track, but. if it was me, I'd go Quicktime h.264.
reason being, everything I have ever had to give to anybody "in the industry", has had to be for Mac's.
And to be honest, anyone who looked at you and said,
"Quicktime, whats that?"
would have to be from another planet, and would prob get fired by the event organizer on the spot.
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Not off track; I wouldn't have suggested MPEG-2 files had I known the intended audience. Some festivals do accept QT files (SIFF, my hometown festival, is one). Definitely get this straightened out prior to submission, though! There really should be nothing left to chance as format goes. If the organizers aren't clear on this, something is wrong.

Best,
Aaron
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

about mpeg2: Movie Studio encodes audio (Bluray template) to a separate file. How can I have it both audio and video in the same file? It is possible with SD mpeg2, so I would think should be doable in FullHD too.

About the submission guidelines:
Film format for the main competition (check one or more):
Film File (.mov, .mpeg2, other)___ DVCam___ HDV___ HDCam___ Digital Betacam___ DVD___ Other_
(and dvd for the selection process).
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Haven't used Vegas much, but look for a "multiplexing" option. You want the audio and video to be multiplexed into an MPEG-2 Transport Stream (possibly just called "TS" multiplexing--that's what Premiere calls it, anyway).

Good news about the submission formats; they seem pretty flexible.

Best,
Aaron
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

so far no luck with finding "multiplexing" or something similar...
I really would love to have mpeg2 !

I'm working in parallel on *.mov. It might be good to submit more than one file and let them choose.
Preliminary testing is good, although I don't see "h.264"
I'm using video format "video", which doesn't sound very descriptive, but the quality seems to be good in 1920x1080.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Odd. I've gotta believe there's a way to get a multiplexed HD MPEG-2 out of Vegas Movie Studio, but if not, you could always use one of several free multiplexer apps out there. tsMuxeR is popular:
SmartLabs - SmartLabs tsMuxeR

Best,
Aaron
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

big thanks!
- tsMuxeR seems to be working very well: I combined m2v with mpa into *.ts" file (TS muxing), and this file (video+audio) plays fine on my PC with Windows 7.
Actually, I've never seen "ts" extension before. Is it a file that is playable on most computers? Or I should try another output option?

P.s. it could be my limited skills preventing me from encoding audio to HD mpeg2 in Movie Studio, or limitations of the non-professional version.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, feel free to just rename your .ts file to the somewhat more ambiguous ".mpg". Everything will be fine; that's all it is under the surface.

Best,
Aaron
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Trustee

If you delve into the CUSTOM options when you choose the BluRay export option, you'll find boxes to tick/untick in the video and audio preferences for including or excluding the audio in the final stream.
I use this option all the time to render out a combined audio/video stream. It's all in there in Moviestudio or Pro versions
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Regular Crew

thanks, but it's not working for me. I do check 'include audio stream' box. It works with SD mpeg2, but not with FullHD (*.m2v). When I select mpg extension, it overrides it to mtv. Weird.

But tsMuxeR works fine, so I'm a happy camper now.
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I was just talking about renaming your .ts file to .mpg after tsMuxeR has created it for you. I have no idea what you'd do in Vegas.

EDIT: I hadn't noticed Robin's intervening reply, so please ignore me! :-)

.mpg is just a more-recognized extension than .ts.

Best,
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Holmes; November 28th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Aaron Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...