DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   16:9 to 4:3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/488283-16-9-4-3-a.html)

Michele Coser December 1st, 2010 03:32 AM

16:9 to 4:3

Hi to all, i shot a video in sd 16:9 with thwo cameras, an XL2 and an XM1 (GL1). However the guy wanted the video to be shot in 4:3. I usually edit in PremierePro and if you have a 16:9/widescreen footage but want to edit in 4:3, just create a new project in 4:3 and the exeding part of the image are automatically not displayed ad cut off.
The guy uses Vegas 9, i also have Vegas Studio 10 but it seems we can't do the same thing i did in premiere.

Edward Troxel December 1st, 2010 08:19 AM

Sure it can. Create a 4:3 project. Drop the footage on the timeline, open Pan/Crop, right-click the image and choose "Match Output Aspect". That will chop off the left/right edges.

Michele Coser December 1st, 2010 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, tanks for the reply. I looked at the guide, tried various settings but it export the video as 4:3 but with black bands at the sides. It seems that i don't have the "match output aspect" option:

Mike Kujbida December 1st, 2010 09:00 AM

It is definitely in there.
Once that screen comes up, right-click in the middle of it and select "Match Output Aspect".

Edward Troxel December 1st, 2010 09:01 AM

In the picture you show, right-click on the video image. That will bring up a menu and one of the options is "Match Output Aspect".

Michele Coser December 1st, 2010 09:15 AM

Thanks i realized it a few seconds later...

Well, if i open the 4:3 rendered file from Premiere with Windows Media Player, show the footage as a full size, but if i open the Vegas rendered file it shows it a little smaller. If i import the Vegas rendered file in Premiere it shows the same size but a with a slight loss of detail.

I'm sorry but the guy is pressing me and i can't find a solution.

Mike Kujbida December 1st, 2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Coser (Post 1593873)
Well, if i open the 4:3 rendered file from Premiere with Windows Media Player, show the footage as a full size, but if i open the Vegas rendered file it shows it a little smaller.

Blame Media Player, not Vegas for the discrepancy.
In other words, don't worry about it.

Quote:

If i import the Vegas rendered file in Premiere it shows the same size but a with a slight loss of detail.
Don't get bogged down with the way two completely different programs handle the identical file.
Mac users say the same thing about how an mov file looks in FCP versus any other editor.

Give the footage to the guy. I'm sure he'll be very pleased that you could do this for him.

In this day and age though, why would anyone still want to work in 4:3?
Oh well, his decision, not yours :-)

Dale Guthormsen December 1st, 2010 11:26 AM

If you have the time or desire, you could do some custom composition with the pan crop as apposed to just knocking the sides off.

Just a thought.

Michele Coser December 6th, 2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1593905)
In this day and age though, why would anyone still want to work in 4:3?
Oh well, his decision, not yours :-)

... I thought the same thing... and asked him why (just for curiosity)... he replied with "Well, the room was'nt very big, so shooting in 19:6 will give the viewer the impression of an even smaller room..."

i did not replied.

Anyway thanks to everyone for the help!