Credit roll with vms 10hd platinum - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Roy, I wonder if the versions are mis-matched. In one post you refer to having VMS v10, but then in another VMS v9?

This .vf file is from in VMS v10 format. It probably won't be openable at all in v9.

I'll work on something this weekend to show you what I meant, but for now, hopefully MIke's post will get you doing what you need to.
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #32
Major Player

Craig, I have both 9 and 10 versions of VMS and I do not choose which version to open the file in. When I click onto credit roll it automatically tries to open on version 9. I left version 9 on the PC after buying version 10 because a Sony training officer told me it would do no harm. Do you think I should remove version 9. Roy
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #33
Sponsor: JET DV

Roy, it does no harm to leave both on your machine. You do NOT need to remove it. However, if you're trying to use VMS 9 to open a .vf file that was created in VMS 10, that will NOT work. Instead, manually open VMS 10 and then try opening that .vf file.

10 will open files created in 9. 9 will NOT open files created in 10.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #34
Major Player

Mike. Sorry to bother you asgain but I am having fustrating problems with the scrolling and stopping procedure you kindly sent me. It seems to have a mind of it's own and different results come up at different times. I do a test run without placing new text and it works. Next time I do it for real andfill the frame with many lines of text and then go to placement and the trouble starts, The text scrolls down instead of up, other times it doesn't scroll at all but shows all the text from start to end. other times it doesn't show the text at all. The one time I got it right with correct colour and size text and the screen full of many lines of text and stopping scrolling at the right place, the resultant scroll was extrememly jerky and could't be used. Would you be so kind as send me a step by step in chronicle order how to apply your method in case I've missed something srting with (1) do this (2) do that and so on. What should the positive number in X box be and the negative number in the Y box be. Do you have to place + and - signs in the boxes. Do you have to create a first keyframe at the beginning of the scroll on top of the one automatically already there. I hope you can find the time to oblige. If you wish you can send me attachments by E-mail to:- roy.wcs@talktalk.net Thanks Roy
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #35
Sponsor: JET DV

Roy, sounds like you're getting your keyframes out of order. Make sure where the cursor is pointing on the timeline before setting the new position. You should only need a couple of keyframes - one at the very beginning with the text set to the beginning location and one at the very end with the text set to the ending location.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #36
Major Player

Craig. I have finally managed to open the zip file and it shows the result of your method with two credits, one on top track and one next track down. But it doesn't tell me how to do it. Is the second credit on the bottom track a none scrolling track. As I said in the beginning of this thread, I have devised a very simple way of getting the same result but the scrolling part shows the credit over an imasge whereas the still part doesn't.. I would be obliged if you can give me step by step instructions how to do your version. Thanks Roy
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Roy, I spent some time trying to put together a little demo for you, but I'm afraid I have to retract my suggestion as a viable one.
Dropping the basic generators on two tracks seems to work fine, but as soon as the lengths (time or text) changes, things get messy trying to match up the scrolling speeds again. And with the lower track (the one that is supposed to come in and stop in the middle) the only way to control the scrolling speed is actually by changing the length of the FX; it seems to take about 1/2 of the FX time to scroll it up. But unfortunately, that completely limits the amount of time the text can be up; only the same amount of time it took to scroll up.
It's very unfortunate... if only one could set the scrolling rate to remain constant, it would work. Very frustrating.
Anyway. so I think Mike's suggestion is gonna be far more likely to work for you.

Now, for your Q. Changing the background to transparent is accomplished by going to the Styles tab, and right near the bottom (you may have to scroll that property window down a bit, depending on how big your FX area is) there is a little swatch and a drop-down arrow for Background Colour. When you drop that down, the slider on the top left of the little control specifies the alpha value. It is currently at the top, indicating no alpha, and seeing as the colour chosen is black, that means solid black. Dragging that slider down to the bottom will produce a completely transparent background, regardless (of course) of the colour selected.

Hope that helps, and sorry for perhaps confusing the issue with this multiple rolling credits, it really seemed like a fairly simple approach, but as is so often the case, the devil is in the details.
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #38
Major Player

Hi Craig. It's a shame your method is not working as you expected. Thank you however for the time you have put in trying to help me. It looks as if I shall have to use the method I devised myself, but as the part that won't show over an image is in fact a still frame, I can't see anyway to change it. But as I have said it works perfectly over a solid colour background. It scrolls up perfectly and stops exactly where I want it. The other problem is that the scrolling is a bit jerky. Thanks again for your effort, Roy
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...