Credit roll with vms 10hd platinum at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 7th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Credit roll with vms 10hd platinum

I am trying to make my first rolling credit on this programme and have been succesful in completing the operation except for one thing, I can't stop the text rolling until it dissappears at the top of the screen. I want to leave the last lines of the text on the screen for a few seconds. Can this be done? I can't find any instructions on how to do this either on the tutorials I have or the help that is with the programme.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Tourist

edit: nvm won't work since there is no velocity envelope in VMS

Last edited by David Haskell; December 8th, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
David Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Velocity Envelope sounds like a great way in Vegas Pro, but alas, it's not available in VMS. =)

The only thing I can think to do, is switch to a new credit roll, and set it to a timed sequence. Scroll the second to last thing you want scrolling, and have it the last of that credit roll. Then the last bit be in a new credit roll, but set to timed sequence, and only that one header in there. If you choose slow enter from bottom, you might be able to match it up with the main credit roll in speed, if it were on a track below, then you could possibly have it pretty seamlessly scroll up and then stop. I'm not sure if the speeds match or not, but if it doesn't, you could always just have the last one fade in and stick.

Hope this helps,
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the info. I had suspected the worst. It looks as if I will have to make the credit roll using Adobe premiere pro 2 and then transfer it to VMS. Actually I have found a way of doing what I want using VMS but it only works if I don't use the credit over a video image. On a blank background it works well Unfortunately I want to use the credit over a video still frame, but I might change my mind for convenience sake.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Roy, there's no need to use Premiere Pro to do this.
I use Vegas Pro but the following technique can be done in VMS without a Velocity envelope and here's how.

Use the Default text Media Generator (it has an alpha channel so the text will show up over top of video), not the credit roll one.
Make sure that this goes on a track on top of your video event.
This is preferable as you can add a drop shadow and change various other attributes, sometimes on a line by line basis.
Enter in all the text as desired.
Don't worry about it going off the bottom as we'll deal with that in a moment.
Set the desired length in the very first tab.
In this example, I'll use 20 seconds.
Make sure to set the length to 25 seconds for reasons that will become apparent shortly.
Once all the text is entered, switch to the Placement tab.
Enter a (positive) value in the X box so that the text just disappears off the bottom of the screen.
This assumes that you want it to do a slow reveal going up.
Go to the 20 second mark on the timeline and create a keyframe there.
Right-click it and select "Hold".
In the Y box, enter a new (negative) value so that the text is now in the centre of the screen.
Exit Generated Media, stretch the event to 25 seconds and play it to see if it's to your satisfaction.
If not, adjust accordingly.
The reason for the "Hold" keyframe and the extra 5 seconds is to allow you to have the text remaining on the screen once the roll is done.
Feel free to extend this length as desired.
Note that you can't stretch the event out past this point as the roll will start to repeat itself.

Please let me know if any of this doesn't make sense to you.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Mike. I will certainly give your method a try. As all these names etc are completely new to me, it will probally take some time for me to digest the procedure. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Roy, hopefully the attached images will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Credit roll with vms 10hd platinum-credits-1.png   Credit roll with vms 10hd platinum-credits-2.png  

Credit roll with vms 10hd platinum-credits-3.png  
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Mike. Thank you very much for your help and your information has worked wonders. My credit title has worked beautifully. Just one more problem, can I justify the text as I would in Windows publication?

One other little matter. Although I checked the box for instant notification of answers, no such notification has been received. Who should I contact regarding this? Thanks again for your help and no doubt I will be asking for help again as I get more advanced with VMS.
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
My credit title has worked beautifully. Just one more problem, can I justify the text as I would in Windows publication?
You're limited by whatever you can do using the tools in the generated media. You have basically left/right/center controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
One other little matter. Although I checked the box for instant notification of answers, no such notification has been received. Who should I contact regarding this?
You could try here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-...-new-post.html
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

With all due respect, this seems quite complicated for a simple credit to come up and stop in the middle. As I suspected, the scroll speeds for "Scrolling Credits" with "Up (Forward)" is the same speed as "Timed Sequence" with In set to "Slow Enter from Bottom". So, on two tracks at the top of everything, you could simply put in all your main credits on the top one, then put the one that should sit (and only that one section that needs to sit) on the lower one, and then it scrolls in indistinguishable from the scrolling ones and sits in the middle for as long as the lower credit event is set to run for.

To show the lower layers through the background, it's as simple as going to the "Styles" tab, click on the "Background color" drop down, and then drag the slider on the top-left control down to the bottom, that's 100% transparent.

Nice and quick. Attached is the .vf file, being all generated media, it should (I hope?) be easily transferrable. Zipped up as I wasn't allowed to upload a .vf file...

IDK, seemed to work well and was very easy.

Another option at least,
Attached Files
File Type: zip credit-roll.zip (2.3 KB, 39 views)
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #11
Major Player

as posted

Hi GraigL. Your method of making the credit roll is equally effective but I don't follow how to do it. I would be grateful if you could instruct me step by step how to acheive the result. I am mostly unsure about making two tracks. Do I use the Credit generator twice. I am a bit confused. A beginning to end tutorial would be most appreciated. Roy
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Longman View Post
With all due respect, this seems quite complicated for a simple credit to come up and stop in the middle.
Craig, you are correct in that it is more complicated but I prefer doing it my way as I have a lot more control over the various text parameters than I do with the Rolling credits option.

Having said that, you taught me options that I had no idea even existed.
As I said, I don't use the Rolling Credits option so I had never bothered to see what it was capable of.
Thanks very much for the lesson :-)

Like a lot of other users, I wish that Sony would give us a real text generator.
Even Pro Titler is, IMHO, a joke.
When you've used real ones like Inscriber, you realize just how many features are lacking.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Roy, did the .vf file not work for you? You should, I think, be able to just download it, unzip it and open it right up...

Adding a new video track is done by right clicking on the track list (on the left of the main timeline, where you see the names of them) and select Insert Video Track, or something like that.

I'm not at home, but if the .vf file doesn't work, I'll try and post something a little more explanatory when I get back to a machine with Vegas.
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Major Player

As posted

CRAIG. SORRY, CAN'T OPEN THE ZIPPED FILE YOU SENT. i HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES WITHOUT SUCCESS. rOY
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #15
Major Player

you have to unzip it, meaning you have to use any zip program to extract the file before you can use it.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...