DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   AC3 or PCM audio. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/488801-ac3-pcm-audio.html)

Allan Black December 11th, 2010 06:49 PM

AC3 or PCM audio.

Which do you prefer and why . thanks.

Cheers.

Rob Wood December 11th, 2010 08:13 PM

u mean for using in DVD? AC3.

PCM audio played back in a playlist can cause an audio pop/tick between each piece.

Use the AC-3 Pro Stereo DVD template... change these settings before rendering:

Audio Service > Dialog Normalization = -31dB
Pre-processing > Line Mode Profile = None
Pre-processing > RF Mode = None

Allan Black December 11th, 2010 08:38 PM

Rob .. yes DVD. I'm currently VMSP 9b and using DVD Architect Studio 4.5 and find its AC3 sounds compressed and PCM sounds cleaner.

I don't hear any clicks via PCM.

Cheers.

Don Bloom December 11th, 2010 09:39 PM

If you're using DVDArch to author and burn it will only use AC3. Any other type of audio (PCM or WAV) will automatically be rendered to AC3 and in using DVDA since version 1 I've never noticed any problem with AC3. Not quite sure what you mean by compressed.

Allan Black December 14th, 2010 07:22 PM

To my ears, compression as in crushed with rolled off high frequencies Don, whereas PCM by Sony has less or none of this. Haven't got the rig open but I think PCM is render option in VMSP 9b.

AC3 has been through a few revisions over the years, so with VMSP 9B DVD Architect 4.5 being what .. 8yrs old maybe Sony licenced an earlier version of AC3.

Cheers.

Jeff Harper December 14th, 2010 07:33 PM

DVDA will utilize PCM files without recompression if you use specs as outlined in DVDA help. Do a search for PCM and you'll see the exact settings to use to render PCM files that can be used as is in DVDA.

PCM will result in higher quality with a fuller range, better sound. Many people can't tell the difference. I can't help but hear it. AC3 stinks, relatively, but the size of the files are much better for fitting on a disc. PCM files are huge.

I agree, I hate the sound of overly compressed audio files. That's why I hate downloaded music, same thing. It's pure crap. On the other hand, I couldn't fit a 90 minute wedding on a single DVD were it not for AC3, so there you have it.

Don Bloom December 14th, 2010 08:18 PM

Man it's been so long since I've used anything but AC3 I forgot that you can indeed use PCM. Sorry 'bout that. I do know what compressed means but I asked so that the OP could explain a bit further as sometimes people say one thing but actually mean another, hence the question. Anyway it sounds like the OP is on the right track with the problem.

Jeff Harper December 14th, 2010 09:10 PM

I know what you mean Don. I haven't used anything but ac3 for years. I only remember because I had an argument with a friend who "assumed" ac3 was better. I only made short videos at the time, so PCM worked great for me, and the sound was great. AC3, for the file size, isn't horrible, but it is so much thinner.

Ron Evans December 14th, 2010 09:37 PM

There is a range of bit rates for AC3 in both Vegas and DVD Architect and the higher rates produce a reasonable sound. The encode does seem to be a bit thin compared to other encoders like TMPGenc though. Defaults seem to choose 192 or 224 but I prefer a higher rate, at least 256.

Ron Evans

Don Bloom December 14th, 2010 10:04 PM

Hmmm, never tried anything higher than 224. Might be time to though.

Allan Black December 15th, 2010 05:02 PM

There are different AC3 sounds around .. as a rule of thumb, the newer the rig or system the better the sound. A lot has to do with the newer components in the surrounding audio chain .. and of course the engineers.

Imo the later AC3 sound has its place, eg: dirty heavy metal, whereas it's PCM for acoustic classical instruments.

I've made recordings of 3000HP Wright Cyclone aero engines and it's PCM all the way.

Cheers.