Why is my CUDA enabled graphics card only operating at ~10% when rendering avchd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 19th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Why is my CUDA enabled graphics card only operating at ~10% when rendering avchd?

I'm new to vegas platinum 10 and have a question. I have a CUDA enabled graphics card on my i7 laptop. When I am rendering avchd video in vegas the gpu is only operating at about ~10% of capacity. Is there anyway to speed up the hardware acceleration so that the gpu carries more of the load?
Daniel Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #2
New Boot

is this another issue where it needs to beactivated with a purchased key to use this feature?
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Daniel, that seems to be what has been reported, 10-15% usage or so. There is likely only so much that is offloaded to the GPU, and even then, it might be more bandwidth limited than SIMD usage.

Generally, it seems to me the consensus is that CUDA was put in to get on the CUDA bandwagon, and if you render to AVC, it does speed it up... a bit.

As far as I know, it's not disabled in the trial version.
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Trustee

I am curious, how do you know what percentage of your CUDA is used? Is there some utility to tell you that? If so, what is that utility?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5
New Boot

I guess it doesn't really tell me how much of the CUDA is used but I use a utility that tells me what percentage the gpu is operating at. I believe it's evga precision
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Trustee

OK, thanks. I'll have to check if my video card (not an eVGA) came with a similar utility.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...