How to show clip length on timeline? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I recently left 63 and headed to the next number. Hard to even say it although my children with their perverse sense of humor (all of them) do not let me forget the number. One day I woke up and couldn't remember what day it was, nor could I remember the date or even what month.* No I hadn't been drinking the night before. It seems I had gotten a case of 'sometimers disease' (sometimes you remember sometimes you don't) my doctor said it's not uncommon to hit hard one day and be gone the next but it seems I can use it to my advantage. Heh, I won't get into details but it does have it's advantages.

*actually what had happened was I had a very late night night the night before striking a corporate AV show that ran much later than anticipated and by the time I got home, got to bed I had very little sleep and just spaced out but the other story just sounds good. Get's me lots of sympathy. ;-)

Ah you youngsters!!!

You know what they say, "age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"

OK I feel it kicking in now so I'll leave it at that.

O|O
\--/
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #17
Regular Crew

It seems that I have to ask Santa Claus how to
show clip length on the timeline when editing.....
North Pole is close to Northern Norway and he is coming soon.

Merry Christmas from Leif in then snow and winterland.....
Leif Skoglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Leif, I have no idea why the script isn't working for like it is for the rest of us.
The only other solution I can offer is to double-click a clip and look in the "Selection Length" box in the bottom right of the screen as indicated in the attached image.
You'll have to do this each and every time you want to know the length.
Attached Thumbnails
How to show clip length on timeline?-clip-length-copy.png  
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Under "My Documents" all I see is a folder called, Vegas Script Menu, nothing else for Vegas... how come?

Windows XP 32, Vegas 10.b

I could really use this script as well.
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
Under "My Documents" all I see is a folder called, Vegas Script Menu, nothing else for Vegas... how come?
That's the wrong place to be looking.
Try C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #21
Major Player

That's exactly where I I am. And when I open Vegas I can see the script but I get the error message others got. Above is Updater and Sony Media Libraries and My Music, Pictures etc, How did this happen?
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #22
Major Player

Mike, something just occured to me; since I do not use a camera, perhaps many functions of Vegas don't get installed by my setup. For instance I don't use Sony Video Capture.
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Another component I don't use and never install is Media Manager -- could that be the cause?
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #24
Inner Circle

AFAIK, the video capture utility is automatically installed.
I don't use Media Manager either.

If you installed this script in the Vegas script folder, remove it as doing so will give you that message.

From the script's readme file, here are the locations to try.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\Application Extensions\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\Application Extensions\
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #25
Major Player

I never left the script in there after the error message. I tried all the options to no avail. I even did a search on my C drive for Application Extensions and nothing showed up.
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #26
Major Player

I'm getting curious now; what other files do you have in Application Extensions?
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Here you go Paul.
I'm not 100% certain but I may have created that folder myself.
Try it as you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
How to show clip length on timeline?-vegas-application-extensions.png  
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #28
Major Player

Oops, I should have told you a tried that a while back and it doesn't work. But at a quick glance I also have none of those files in my work flow. Also this; others here seemed to have no problem locating their Application Extensions once they were told to go there, so something must be creating it.
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Paul, I found the following suggestion, courtesy of Edward Troxel and Gilles Pialat (creator of "Show Event Length"), on the Sony Vegas forum.

Go to "My Documents".
Create a "Vegas Application Extensions" folder.
Copy the dll and png from the zip file you downloaded into this folder.
Go to the View Menu > Extensions to run it.
Anything in that folder will show up in ALL versions of Vegas Pro that support extensions so you may wish to move it out of any other locations too.
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #30
Regular Crew

1: Downloaded a trial version of Excalibur(ver 6-0-6) and installed this. This program made a folder called Vegas Application Extensions with this path: C:\Users\Leif\My Documents\Vegas Application Extensions. Used "Tools/Extensions" and there was Excalibur. Then dropped the files CC_ShowEventLength.dll and CC_ShowEventLength.png into this folder, but nothing to see under "Tools/Extensions". As I've said before, I'm using Win7 64-bit and Vegas Pro 10 64-bit.

2: But still I can't understand why the script "Add timecode to all media" are working as it is. When cutting 5 sec in the end of a 15 sec clip, the timecode at the end of this "new" clip says 10 sec. And then, when cutting 5 sec in the beginning of this clip, the timecode says 5 sec at the start of this "new" clip and not 0:00.
Leif Skoglund is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...