DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   An Upgrade Dilemma-Suggestion needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/489847-upgrade-dilemma-suggestion-needed.html)

David Ruhland January 7th, 2011 06:15 AM

An Upgrade Dilemma-Suggestion needed

I purchased my Sony Vegas 8 approx 2 years ago from B&H. It was a STAND ALONE dvd, that did not include DVD architect.

I am still a "basic" user of Sony Vegas and am learning. I have Douglas Spotted Eagle s "VEGAS PRO 8 Editing Workshop" book at my side while im still learning this program.

I am at the point where I want to put material onto DVD and have chapters, etc... So DVD Architect will throw me another learning curve, but I am up for the challenge...

My dilemma is my current edit PC works great with Vegas 8. It is a 32 bit version. If I upgrade my software I am thinking I should upgrade to the 64 bit version of the software. The update will include the latest version of DVD architecht pro.

I am looking at building another editing PC in the very near future which will most certainly have the 64 bit version of Windows 7. It will be used only for editing.

OR... perhaps I can pickup someones hand me down of DVD architecht Pro for Sony Vegas 8 somewhere? (I wonder why they dont offfer this program seperately)

Jeff Harper January 7th, 2011 11:14 AM

You can use the or 32 or 64 bit version anytime you choose with version 8, 9, or 10. Your serial number works for both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. For example, you could theoretically use 64 bit now, you would just download it from the Sony site. But of course your using 32 bit version of windows, so you can't right now, but you get the idea.

In other word, don't upgrade until you need new features. If you build a new PC and if Vegas 8 is working for you, you can use the 64 bit version of 8 then.

You are wise to be planning ahead, but truth is right now you don't have to worry about anything...you'll be covered when you get your new PC. You can use 32 bit version with a 64 OS anyway, and the advantages of 64 bit are minimal. It's not much faster, so either way you go you'll be fine.

Dave Blackhurst January 7th, 2011 12:18 PM

As Jeff noted, there's 8.1 downloadable, it's 64 bit, and you're good to go with your original serial #.

I upgraded to V10, I guess that means my 8.0/8.1 and DVDA 5 license is saleable and transferrable... if you're interested?!

David Ruhland January 7th, 2011 06:34 PM

BUT... how do I handle my dvd architect module that I am missing?

AND if I understand correctly you can put a 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS? So can you also put a 64 bit program on a 32 bit OS?

Thanks so much for the information.

Adam Stanislav January 7th, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ruhland (Post 1605454)
So can you also put a 64 bit program on a 32 bit OS?

Sorry, no.

Mike Kujbida January 7th, 2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

BUT... how do I handle my dvd architect module that I am missing?

You missed the introductory pricing on Pro 10 so the upgrade price is now $240.
Upgrade to Vegas Pro 10 from Vegas

If you want to stay with Pro 8 and wait and see if Sony has another sale, take a look at DVD Architect Studio 5.0.
It won't have all the features of DVD Architect Pro but it's only $40.
DVD Architect Studio 5.0 Overview

Jeff Harper January 7th, 2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

AND if I understand correctly you can put a 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS? So can you also put a 64 bit program on a 32 bit OS?

You can put 32 bit on a 64 bit OS, but as Adam says you cannot do the reverse.

David Ruhland January 8th, 2011 06:51 AM

Thanks guys....I missed the boat on the sale they had, cause I just wasnt sure I needed the upgrade yet. So for now I am going to stick with 8 and check into DVD Studio.

I clearly understand that if i do get the new edit pc with a 64 bit OS I can still use my Vegas 8.0 (or 8.1) until Sony offers another sale.

Thanks to all...