Lower Audio Bitrate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Lower Audio Bitrate

Hi Guys

I usually render my clips in Vegas 9 to Main Concept MPEG2 using the PAL Widescreen Preset and they play perfectly on any DVD player BUT I have a little 9" portable that stutters the audio and it really seems to struggle with the audio, although video runs fine!!!

Anyone have any idea if a lower bitrate for specific DVD's that I will use on this player might help on the audio side???? Why would it struggle with 48K audio and yet run the video smoothly???

I just need to make a demo DVD for some of my wedding samples but down want the audio to jerk and stutter and make weird noises!!! The speakers are really tiny so even 22K audio would sound much the same as the default settings.

Anyone had this issue or can offer a few suggestions??????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

My suspicion is that the Max bitrate in that template is what's causing the problems with your portable player.
If your demo is under 70 min. long, try a custom CBR setting of 8,000,000 and see if that helps.
If it still stutters, drop the bitrate to 7,000,000 and try it again.
Also, make sure you're using good name brand media like Taiyo-Yuden or Verbatim as cheap media can cause problems like yours.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike

It only seems to be the audio that stutters!! The video is great and smooth as silk!! The default for video in Vegas's MPEG2 is VBR with a max of 8,000 but I see the default audio is layer 2 at 224 kbs and sampling at 48K. Would dropping the video bitrate to something like a CBR of 6000 (also a default option) also allow the player to handle the audio better. I will only have short demo clips on the disk so time is not a problem.

It's only this darn portable DVD player!!! On normal domestic players and computers it plays perfectly and I have never had an issue!!! I was wondering if just dropping the audio bitrate from 224 to 128 might help (as well as making the video CBR 6000)??? This player has minute 2" speakers so audio quality isn't critical at all!! I just would prefer it not to stutter.

Media is LG 16X DVD's ..I use hundreds of them a year and never any issues at all.

Chris
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Chris, the default AC-3 setting is 192 so try that first.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike

I'll render a couple of short clips are various rates and try them out.

I'm sure that's the problem.

Chris
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

I have come to the conclusion that I have a very poor quality portable player!!! It even stutters at 128kbs!! The only video it seems to be able to play is a DivX video that had an MP3 audio track which I converted to VOB's

It's Soniq and cost $99 and reviews on-line are not very good either!!! Best to get a decent player I think...Hmmm I wonder if I can convert this into an LCD monitor ?????

Chris
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Chris, it's funny you should mention cheap players.
I gave a few DVDs I had produced to a friend and she had all kinds of problems watching them.
It turned out to be the cheap player she was using as a different one worked just fine.

My very first Pioneer DVD player (almost $400 when I bought it several years ago) is, for the most part, still working.
You have the hold the tray when it comes out to load a disc but, other than that, it's ok.
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thank Mike

My friend Barry on another forum actually has a expensive Sony that does the same thing!!! What amuses me is that I can copy my normal MPEG2 clip onto an SD card and a cheap 7" photo frame plays it flawlessly. This player also has an SD slot but has the same issues.

Hello eBay I have a portable DVD player for sale!!!!! I really cannot see any point in reducing the quality low enough so the player can handle it. My wedding clients might as well watch the same clips online on YouTube!!!

Your help was still much appreciated but I don't want to have to re-render a whole bunch of projects just so this player can handle them!!

Chris
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Chris, I wouldn't expect you to go to all that work for one player.
Do as you said and get rid of it as you don't need more grief.
Deadlines and clients are enough of a headache already :)
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike

It seems that before you buy a portable player it would be wise to take a DVD with you to see if it actually works!! However I will keep the extra media player that I bought for the unit..it's a little box with 2 speakers and you can feed in audio or use an SD card and it gives great sound. The tiny speakers in the player were pathetic. (the media box also has a lithium rechargeable battery too!! and cost me just over $20!!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...