Thoughts on: Intel(R) i7-2600 quad-core processor/Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8Ghz, 8MB cach - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #16
Trustee

jeff,

i remember back in the late 60's / early 70's everyone asking me round to listen to their hi fi systems (i was an 'engineer' at olympic studios in richmond - i engineered tea for everyone).

rarely did i get to listen to the system, more to the owner describing what i was hearing and HOW MUCH IT COST!!!

i learnt early on that i couldn't afford to keep up, so went inverse, instead of kef reference speakers i bought some really, really cheap ones that sound ok (how can rock 'n' roll not sound ok?), and said that after the studio speakers NOTHING on the commercial market was good enough!

i was asked to judge a reasonably prestigious photo competition a couple of years ago - and after doing so was bombarded with questions as to what equipment i used. NOT what did i look for in a portrait, landscape, but rather was the dx3 better than the 7d or whatever. really pissed most people off by telling them i had a sigma sd15 (about as obscure as i could think of) but usually shot with my wife's little point and shoot olympus. (btw. i have an old d70s, but i still prefer my med format pentax, but no one seemed to know what i was talking about!).
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Leslie, a friend had a $10k home stereo. He would blast you with it to impress, and tell you how much each piece cost. Just like what you're talking about. But I had the sense he never really enjoyed it. It was all about impressing everyone.

I couldn't stand being there, he was so obnoxious about it. What was most sad, is the room was not large enough for the speakers and it never sounded right. He was too "dumb" to select the right speakers for his room dimensions, which is how it is done. Ironically his stereo would have sounded twice as good if he had spent half as much.

That is funny story about what you told the people about your camera choice.
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #18
Trustee

I always like to get the best available (within my budget, of course) at the time I am getting it, and then using it forever (i.e., until it dies). So I fluctuate between having the latest (like right now since my computer died several months ago) and the “You’re still using that?”
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #19
Trustee

jeff, seems nothings really changed. i mean, $200 for a pair of earphones (NOT headphones) for an ipod!? maybe they fill the empty space between the ears with the right amount of sound?

adam, i'm with you on that. buy the best the budget allows, then use it till it's well and truly paid for itself - that is, made a profit for you.

as for hobbyists buying the most expensive gizmo's - well good for them if they can afford it, but please don't tell me that x shoots better than y without empirical proof that it does.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...