Vegas and HDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Traill
Is it just me, or do others think it bizarre that Sony introduce a format (with others) yet are unable to introduce a simple and reliable NLE for their computers to deal with the new format.

My old dual 1.5 ghz G4 brings HDV in just fine with FCP5 - and plays clips back just fine. Of course getting it to play back out to tape is another thing...

Cheers,

Nigel

I agree, this reply didn't help.
The bizarreness had nothing to do with the format Sony et al introduced, but more with the fact that they introduced a camcorder that it was unable to capture from using Sony's own NLE!

It'd be a bit like if Ford Motor bought up a petroleum company and then brought out a new model Ford that wouldn't run on fuel you got from their own brand gas stations...

How many edits of multiple HDV native m2t streams have you done on your G4? I'd suggest that you'd have a little bit of a problem then. Playback of HDV isn't so much of a problem for 'older' CPUs regardless of whether they're Intel, IBM or AMD. The editing of HDV is where the power difference begins to bite...

Shame you can't get any HDV back out to tape, as it's about the best way to view any edited clips without recourse to a HD capable Network Media Player like the Avel Linkplayer.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crisdale
The bizarreness had nothing to do with the format Sony et al introduced, but more with the fact that they introduced a camcorder that it was unable to capture from using Sony's own NLE!

It'd be a bit like if Ford Motor bought up a petroleum company and then brought out a new model Ford that wouldn't run on fuel you got from their own brand gas stations...

How many edits of multiple HDV native m2t streams have you done on your G4? I'd suggest that you'd have a little bit of a problem then...

Steve, you're right - on both counts. It's true, I haven't started editing yet - I'm holding out as long as possible to go G5 (before beginning edit on the doco I'm shooting now). My brother, an mac addict, told me something along the lines of... "when the new chips arrive... the effect will be more like having quad chips than doubles..." When they will turn up? I'll have to ask my brother...

Are you going to the Douglas Spotted Eagle training sessions coming up in Sydney next week? It's mostly about Vegas I believe.

www.newmagic.com.au has the info.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Traill
Is it just me, or do others think it bizarre that Sony introduce a format (with others) yet are unable to introduce a simple and reliable NLE for their computers to deal with the new format.
Considering that it took Apple almost two years after the HDV format was originally introduced to offer proper support for it, and considering that the Vegas/Cineform solution was available before FCP5 came out, that seems like a rather biased question. In this particular thread we've got someone who hasn't installed the latest OS updates required to connect easily to Sony HDV cameras, so you can't judge much from this discussion.

As far as editing HDV is concerned, this appears to be a serious strain for almost all current editing setups. I've heard FCP5 users indicate that their preview quality starts to deteriorate with just two layers of HDV on the timeline on today's fastest Macs, and Canopus Edius is the only program I know of which can do any better without specialized hardware support. Output to HDV (or other HD formats) from a 1080i HDV timeline is currently a problem for pretty much everyone, and it's going to take some serious computing horsepower (or long rendering times) to overcome that.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been helping me to learn how to capture HDV in Vegas. Did my first successful capture last night. Wohoo! Your help was very much appreciated. Now I have to learn how to edit HDV :)
Dan Measel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...