DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas and HDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/49038-vegas-hdv.html)

Lance Spratt August 8th, 2005 08:45 PM

Vegas and HDV

Greetings,

I have just upgraded from Vegas 5.0 to 6.0 by purchasing and downloading the new version from Sony.

I am attempting to capture .m2t files from the Sony HVR-Z1u camera. However once I have connected the camera via firewire, a found new hardware wizard comes up and asks what software to install for the AV/C Subunit. I have set it to search for the software automatically and it can not find it. Is the software typically installed when Vegas is installed, or if not, where is it located on the drive once Vegas is installed so that I can complete installing the hardware and start capturing?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Lance

Ian Lim August 9th, 2005 03:16 AM

Lance, try this: go to Options > Preferences > Go to 'Video' tab, uncheck 'Using External Capture Application' box. Then go to File > Capture Video. See what happen. Hope it helps.

Jesse Stipek August 16th, 2005 09:32 PM

Vaio Issue

Are you using a SONY VAIO computer? If so, they don't reconize HD (because mine does the same thing).

What you have to do is:

-Press MENU on your Z1U
-Scroll down to the IN/OUT REC tab & click it
-Scroll down to i.Link CONV & enable (HDV→DV)
It should work now
-------------------
I have soon to figure out why VAIO's do this, because I really want my final product to come out in HD, but it usually looks like DV. I use an HDR-FX1.

Jesse

Dan Measel August 16th, 2005 09:36 PM

Can't capture with FX1 and Vegas

I know this topic has been covered before but I am unable to fix it using the instructions provided. When I go to control panel>system>hardware I do not have anything that says AVC Subunit to right click on and install drivers.

Maybe I need windows updates and the xp service pak 2. But I do not have an internet connection for my NLE computer. Can I still get the updates somehow? Sorry for the remedial questions, but I am stuck.

Peter Robert August 17th, 2005 01:34 AM

Hi Dan,

To capture footage from Z1, I use GraphEdit which you could find the details at www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm. Then put the entire captured file to Vegas and edit. It works perfectly to me.

Roland Lioni August 17th, 2005 06:25 AM

Do you have already installed SP2?

Dan Measel August 17th, 2005 08:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I do not have sp2 installed yet. Would you agree that this and other windows updates are required before capturing, even with GraphEdit?

Roland Lioni August 17th, 2005 08:54 AM

I think you have to install SP2. Download it with another computer with internet connection at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

but the size of the update is very big.

regards

Roland

Peter Robert August 17th, 2005 06:52 PM

GraphEdit doesn't require SP2.

Steve Crisdale August 17th, 2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Stipek
Are you using a SONY VAIO computer? If so, they don't reconize HD (because mine does the same thing).

I have soon to figure out why VAIO's do this, because I really want my final product to come out in HD, but it usually looks like DV. I use an HDR-FX1.

All computers do this with any HDV camcorder, and they'll continue to do this with HDV camcorders until there's new OS's with full HDV/IEEE1394 support.

Of course; if you read your cameras manual, it'll probably tell you all that you need to know to connect to your particular OS, but for those who don't trust those nasty documents that manufacturers supply with their products...

The simple fact is that HDV technology is newer than the standard system drivers in every OS. That's why it is generally considered that installing SP2 with WinXP is required, or that you need to install a specific driver for the device, rather than the generic OS ones for video devices.

JVC supplied it's first generation HDV camcorders with a software disk that contained the proper driver. Sony has chosen not to do so, so for some - or maybe many purchasers of the FX-1, then the Z1 and no doubt the new HVC1u or whatever the thing is, it seemed like the cameras just wouldn't work...

You can if you have a Sony HDV camcorder either:
1) install the more accurate device driver for Sony Tape Devices, rather than the generic Microsoft driver for multi-media tape devices. Of course this isn't guaranteed to work; and is only advised for those who qualify as junior computer Guru's; i.e. if you can't use at least 5-6 programs fluently, or physically install RAM or Hard Drives and set up a RAID array etc.... just install SP2

2) Install SP2 for XP, then get a hold of a 3rd party capture application like ConnectHD if you're a Vegas user, and get the added bonus of uncompressed CFHD intermediate editing for higher quality final output... BTW the demo is FREE.

Please check/search the forums carefully for answers to your questions once you get your HDV camcorders properly connected to your computers, and begin editing HDV clips, as I'm certain what you're going to ask has already been answered/addressed.

Jesse Stipek August 17th, 2005 09:21 PM

Hmm, yeah you are right.

I just installed SP2 and now my OS reconizes the Subnet drive. Problem is, I just figured out that I need more gHz on my PC. Currently I only have 2.66, which was fine with standerd DV.. but now since Im trying to capture HDV 1440x1080 the video is realllly choppy, same with the audio.

This puts me in a tight hole, not only do I have enough gHz, but i need to buy a whole new CPU.

Ugh..

Steve Crisdale August 17th, 2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Hmm, yeah you are right.

I just installed SP2 and now my OS reconizes the Subnet drive. Problem is, I just figured out that I need more gHz on my PC. Currently I only have 2.66, which was fine with standerd DV.. but now since Im trying to capture HDV 1440x1080 the video is realllly choppy, same with the audio.

This puts me in a tight hole, not only do I have enough gHz, but i need to buy a whole new CPU.

Ugh..

You have a 2.66 P-IV?

That should handle playback of the HDV stream fine. I watch and capture HDTV via a VisionPlus DVB-t HD PCI card to my 2.4Ghz P-IV on a regular basis... What is more likely the problem is the performance of the video decoders and media player you have installed. Your video card might - and it's a mighty big might - not be up too dumping that much data to screen, but your CPU should be fine.

Again: don't forget that until HDV and a few DVB-t HD capable cards came along, nothing software wise had too deal with 19.3Mbit and higher bit rates, let alone resolutions above DVD's 720x576 PAL or 720x480 NTSC.

You should search out HD capable viewer software. VLC is a piece of FREE software that's more than just recommended... If you're serious about HDV it's pretty well essential.

You may also find that some DVD player appz are having their decoder drivers upgraded to enable HD resolution playback. The latest Cyberlink and Intervideo drivers should allow pretty reasonable HD playback.

Generally, I've found Windows media player to be flaky to say the least at HD playback, even with all the latest WMV and WMP stuff loaded. Even Windows Media Player Classic (again a free app) is better across the board than WMP.

Editing wise you may find your CPU will chug rather than blast, but unless you're a really, really, really impatient person - it should do what you require, just a little slower than a 3.2Ghz machine would.

Jesse Stipek August 18th, 2005 12:21 AM

Wow cool, VLC did do the trick. I just saved myself a couple hundred dollars then, thanks Steve.

I was using WinAmp before, that was my problem.

Steve Crisdale August 18th, 2005 12:39 AM

Quote:

Wow cool, VLC did do the trick. I just saved myself a couple hundred dollars then, thanks Steve.

I was using WinAmp before, that was my problem.

No worries Jesse.

I know VLC isn't the most 'user friendly' looking program, but it'll be worth checking out some of it's "under the hood" abilities as well. It can capture directly from the camera - i.e. before encoding to tape, capture from tape (though ConnectHD's HDLink is better for this and you get CFHD AVI for editing without generational loss as well), and live monitoring of what the camera is seeing... That's where a decent laptop comes in handy as a live monitoring and capture tool!!

There's also *.ts streaming - but that's pretty intensive and you need a Network Media Player like the Avel Linkplayer, Roku HD Photobridge or Buffalo HD media player to really use the streaming capabilities fully.

Nigel Traill August 18th, 2005 01:10 AM

Is it just me, or do others think it bizarre that Sony introduce a format (with others) yet are unable to introduce a simple and reliable NLE for their computers to deal with the new format.

My old dual 1.5 ghz G4 brings HDV in just fine with FCP5 - and plays clips back just fine. Of course getting it to play back out to tape is another thing...

Cheers,

Nigel

I agree, this reply didn't help.