Web publishing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Web publishing

I have a web page where I publish my photographs and tell stories. I use Wordpress and Bluehost is my host. I also shoot HD video. Some time ago I attempted uploading video files but ran into problems; it was not easy. Then I discovered Vimeo Plus, paid one year’s subscription, and bingo, a piece of cake. I render my videos in Vegas Pro 10 using the Sony AVC and the Internet 1280x 720 30p template where I’m told ‘Use this setting to create a higher quality 16:9 file suitable for uploading to Internet sites etc.’ I log on to Vimeo and upload the files, no problem, and that’s that. Whatever Vimeo does seems to not make a difference regarding viewing. I can’t tell the difference between the rendered file and that which I view on Vimeo but then a more discerning eye might not agree. Whatever, quality wise not too shabby.

So then I embed the URL in my web page and, obviously, by clicking on the link in my web page one is taken to the clip at my Vimeo page.

Now with all due respects to Vimeo (how I wince at the welcome ‘you're new, aren't you? – ‘no I’m not,’ I shout at the monitor) at the end of the day I really could do without Vimeo making its presence felt, in fact I seriously don’t like the look of the place. No offense, that’s just me.

So my question is how can I upload my clips, some quite large like 2 gig, to Bluehost and display them on my web page using my style and be done with Vimeo altogether. I don’t mind paying, not an arm and a leg, but about what I’m paying Vimeo Plus would be fine.

(And never again will I be told ‘you're new, aren't you’, with no way to reply?)

Any suggestion?

Many thanks.

John
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi John,
You don't have to pay anything. Check out http://flowplayer.org/ . The free open source version of Flowplayer is all you need, you can set up a basic player in minutes even if you've never done anything like that before, and when you get some experience customise it to your heart's desire. There are ample instructions on the site.
(P.S. I checked out a whole lot of video players before deciding on Flowplayer - you can see one simple example where I'm using it on the Federation of Australian Movie Makers website.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Rainer, you are clearly a scholar and a gentleman. Many thanks; I shall give that a shot.

Cheers...(given your name) I trust you are not suffering from the disastrous flooding over there.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

John, you see that message when you aren't logged in to Vimeo. If you log in it goes away. The paid subscription allows you to embed video on other sites and it displays in a player that you can customize. Look under TOOLS/Embed this video.
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Chip, I shall explore as you suggest.

Cheers...
John McCully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...