DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   There HAS to be a simple answer....! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/490683-there-has-simple-answer.html)

Tracy Foust January 25th, 2011 03:16 PM

There HAS to be a simple answer....!

In the "Insert Generated Media" section, I am creating a credit roll on transparent to list names. One name has a French derivation and for the life of me, I cannot get an accent mark over the last "e" in the name. The best I can do is an apostrophe after the "e". Can someone give me a tip? Please?

Don Bloom January 25th, 2011 04:04 PM

Just a guess here but can you spell it out properly with the right accent in MSWord? If so then simply cut and paste into the generated media.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 25th, 2011 04:09 PM

Do a search for the Windows Character Map facility in the Windows Accessories folder. I keep its icon on the desktop. You can generate and copy most accents and characters with it. Just copy and paste into the title generator.

Leslie Wand January 25th, 2011 04:49 PM

also depends on whether the font you are using has ė in it's character set.

Ian Stark January 25th, 2011 06:34 PM

try holding the Alt Gr key when typing the e. Note that will only give you é, not with the accent the other way round (which is important).

This might also be of interest: Foreign Language Characters, Diacritics, Accent Marks, Computers, KeyBoard Help, kbh

Leslie Wand January 25th, 2011 09:13 PM

è is certainly in arial....

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 26th, 2011 12:29 AM

Try it my way and you have ALL the accents and characters - that's what it's for.
Just simple copy and paste: it's a no-brainer...
I have to use accents for Welsh every day and wouldn't be without it.

Leslie Wand January 26th, 2011 12:32 AM

hi robin,

that is, if it's in the font set.....

Tracy Foust January 26th, 2011 06:00 AM

And the Oscar goes to............

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1611377)
Do a search for the Windows Character Map facility in the Windows Accessories folder. I keep its icon on the desktop. You can generate and copy most accents and characters with it. Just copy and paste into the title generator. Try it my way and you have ALL the accents and characters - that's what it's for.
Just simple copy and paste: it's a no-brainer...

Robin, Thanks so much for the tip. On target because I have no brain!!
And thanks to ALL that chimed in on this:

Don Bloom
Robin Davies-Rollinson
Leslie Ward
Ian Stark

Adam Stanislav January 26th, 2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1611377)

Then you should add the Welsh keyboard from Control Panel / Region and Language / Keyboard and Languages / Change Keyboards. You can then switch between the English keyboard (or whatever you use as your primary keyboard layout) and the Welsh keyboard by pressing Alt-Shift. And you will never have to go through the copying the Welsh text from Character Map and pasting it to Vegas or any other program again. Of course you will have to remember which key now represents which letter, but you will learn that quickly.

Ian Stark January 26th, 2011 11:07 AM

Quite, Adam! That's an even bigger no-brainer for people that use a specific language's extended character sets regularly, rather than having to load Character Map all the time (not that that's a huge inconvenience, but if there's an easier way . . . .)

Maybe not for Tracy and the single é, though!