No render - "The file name is not valid" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian for the replies. I'll try an older version of Vegas(Pro 9) later this evening. But first I need to do a system restore to an earlier date to see if this could solve the problem. I have forgotten to do this. Just now I'm not near my computer.
Leif Skoglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

If you haven't, double check your chipset drivers/reinstall them, to see if that would help.

New CPU shouldn't need a reinstall of windows, but who knows.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; January 28th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Restored my computer to an earlier date, but the problem were not solved. Then deinstalled Vegas 10a Pro and installed Vegas 9a Pro. And rendering no problem. What is this? Is there a problem related to Vegas 10/upgrading to a new CPU or what? At this point I'm not able to use my Vegas 10, and I've sold the old 2.4 quad core.....
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Vegas 10 has had some very strange issues.
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I think I would have been inclined to reinstall Vegas 10 first, to see if that was where the problem lies, rather than go straight back to 9.

As you will see from many other solutions to problems posted here, uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas often sorts out inexplicable problems. You can reinstall Vegas 10 without having to uninstall Vegas 9.

Try that and see if v10 works now. My bet is that it will be fine (famous last words).

You should still raise a trouble ticket with Sony - these inexplicable issues must have a root cause somewhere and unless you tell them they may not know that a problem exists (although I expect their advice will be to uninstall and reinstall).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Reinstalled Vegas 10 without uninstalling Vegas 9. The problem was not solved.

I have sent a message/trouble ticket to Sony.
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Ha! Famous last words indeed!

Well, I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. But at least you're up and running with version 9 for the time being.

Not that I expect it will make much difference but did you install the latest version 10, i.e. 10c?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Here's something that might provide a clue. Use Windows to navigate to the folder you are attempting to render to. Choose a file in that folder (if one doesn't exist - just copy one in from another folder). Hold the shift key down, right click and select "Copy as path". This will copy the fully qualified file name to your clipboard.

Paste the results back to this thread.

Again, this may or may not provide clues. What we're looking for are bogus characters and/or a fully qualified filename that is too long.

Good Luck!
...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: No render - "The file name is not valid"

I have the same "invalid media file name" problem with Vegas 10c ( 32x adn 64x). It does not occur with Vegas 9. What I did find was if I first save a veg file and then render Vegas runs fine. Try saving a veg file and then try the render.

Ed Baldwin

Last edited by Edwin Baldwin; April 14th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Edwin Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi

Might be worth right clicking on the Vegas shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" to see if that helps.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks to all who wanted to help me. Posted this problem at the end of January. Didn't find a solution to this problem at that time. Shortly after I reinstalled everything, and my Vegas 10 is now ok again....... Sometimes strange things happens to the computers/software, and nobody knows why.....
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I think this is the solution!!!

I get this error in Vegas 10 pro if I try to render my project before saving my project file (.veg). Once I save the project file, then I can render, and don't get the error.
Peter Holzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #28
Major Player

Hi

Sounds like a piracy activation feature trigger by the software seeing something about the computer change.

Try resetting Sony Vegas by holding down the Control + Shift Key then double clicking the icon to start it, if that doesn't help you might need supports help. The irony is if you had pirated cracked software you'd have had no issues, it's always us honest customers that are affected.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...