DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Inserting a piece of VHS on a HDV 1080 5oi Project, suggestion? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/490931-inserting-piece-vhs-hdv-1080-5oi-project-suggestion.html)

Marcus Martell January 30th, 2011 05:50 AM

Inserting a piece of VHS on a HDV 1080 5oi Project, suggestion?

Hola,
I need your help guys! I'm inserting a Vhs piece of video on a project HDV 108050 i.
Once i have digitalized through DVD recorder the vhs, i wanted to know what's the best choice of settings to render the VHS files to match with the HDV 108050 i project!
Other help needed: best suggestion to improve the image of a video shot in early 80's to match with actual FX-1 sony images...
I know that miracles can't be done but i was thinking to add Sharpness.....
I own even MAgic Bullet Looks

Thx and happy weekend

Edward Troxel January 30th, 2011 07:27 AM

Personally, I wouldn't go through MPEG2 to get the VHS into the project. Instead I'd go through a deck/camcorder and capture via firewire into DV-AVI.

Marcus Martell January 30th, 2011 08:43 AM

hei Ed,
so u'd insert an Avi straight to the hdv 1080 50 i project?
Thenl what should you do? Add sharpness or what?
Thx for helping me

Marcus Martell January 30th, 2011 03:52 PM

just finished to convert the vhs into PAL AVI dvtape.....
Waiting for your suggestion about treat it in HDV 1080 50 I project settings.....
PRogressive or not? Interpolate?
Waiting my DVINFO lifesavers.......

Leslie Wand January 30th, 2011 06:30 PM

what's your intention with the clip?

do you want it to look like hd (not a hope!)?

do you want it full screen (will look awful)?

why not do as they do on tv - either leave it 4:3 over a blown up image of itself so it fills frame, or simply leave it looking like it was, ie 4:3 vhs?

Marcus Martell January 31st, 2011 01:44 AM

Hi Les,
thx in advance 4 taking time to reply me!
I would like to achieve the best resolution possible. Leave it in 4:3 is not a good idea.....I prefere leave it in 16:9.
Unfortunately i don't have AE to use with the plugin Instant HD to convert the SD in HD :(
thx

Leslie Wand January 31st, 2011 02:52 AM

well you can't actually leave 4:3 in 16:9 ;-)

yes, you can blow it up to fill 16:9, but coming from vhs, even with the best 'instant hd' it's going to look a bit sad.

i wish you luck!

Ian Stark February 1st, 2011 02:50 AM

My suggestion, unless you really need it to be seamless, is to make it stand out even more by, for example, putting it in a bordered PinP window or angling it slightly in 2.5d.

There are some very good plugins for this, and my unhesitating recommendation is NewBlue's PinP or Reflection plugins. They are both very good at what they do and can make sub-par footage look more acceptable, indeed more interesting. I use these very regularly. (You can achieve the same result with standard Vegas components, but if I can do one click instead of six I will!).

Of course if you are trying to make the VHS clip flow seamlessly with your other footage then this won't help - and I echo other people's sentiments here . . . it is almost certainly not possible.

I should declare that I write tutorials for NewBlue so I do have a relationship with the company.

Marcus Martell February 1st, 2011 03:40 AM

Hola Ian, long time we didn't talk each other, hope u r good!
Could you link this kind of product?

Thx a lot

Ian Stark February 1st, 2011 03:51 AM

Hi Marcus, I'm good thanks - having the best start to a year for a long time. Hope you are well.

I guess it's OK for me to post a link as it's been requested. I hope this isn't breaking any 'no marketing' rules and if it is, i apologise!

NewBlueFX | Video plugins and audio effects for Avid Liquid, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Corel VideoStudio, Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas, Canopus Edius and other video editors - NewBlueF - look at the Video Essentials packs. They have been on sale recently but I don't know whether that promotion is still going on.

Good luck.

Ian . . .

EDIT: by the way, where are you in Spain? I am filming in Barcelona later this week.

Marcus Martell February 1st, 2011 04:39 AM

Ian, thx for the link
My idea was to substitute a car passing on a street (original 80's footage) with a brand new car(nowaday hdv footage) on the same street. So i have to adjust the crop....
YOu gonna have the feeling of the time passing by!
I need other help on the settings, this dv avi is 4:3 and to insert on a project with all HDV108050interlaced
should i change any setting on the avi clip?
thx

Marcus Martell February 8th, 2011 05:49 PM

Question:
the old 80's VHS footage has now the lines of the Interlacement, how could i remove those lines?
Thx

MM