Subclip query at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Subclip query

I am going through twenty related projects, each with between 30 and 60 minutes of interview footage, and selecting/trimming clips. I then create a subclip for each segment I want to keep. These are then categorised in what is fast becoming a very complex bin structure. I will then copy the bins across to a master project, merge similar bins etc, so I can start assembling a rough cut.

1. I am pleased to find that subclips (as well as the full parent clip) are carried over to the new project, regardless of format. I was half expecting something like the 'save with project media' issue where there is only a limited number of formats that will work with. I am working on avi, m2t and mpg files.

2. I started renaming the subclips in their respective bins but I discovered that the new names are lost when dragging the bins into the master project. Is there something I can do to retain the names or is that just a limitation I will have to put up with?

3. Many of the captured clips (specifically the mpg and m2t files) have identical filenames. Will merging bins containing files with identical names cause me a problem?

Any other tips for managing such a large amount of material?

Thanks,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

1. Yes, everything in the bin will be copied over.

2. Any subclips will lose any names you typed in - instead you will get whatever the "default" name originally was.

3. If the paths are different (I'm assuming you mean they're really different files but just happen to have the same name) then everything should work fine. The media pool takes the full path into consideration.

You could have always left each separate piece in it's own project, edit the pieces separately, and then used nested VEG files to create the "final" project.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks so much Edward. Yes, you are right, I meant the files have the same name but are actually different files.

In this case it wouldn't be possible to edit each interview in it's own project then nest them (I wish it were!). The final project is structured in themes, and each interviewee contributes a part of the same themed story, often several parts. Makes for more interesting viewing, albeit harder editing!

Thanks again.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Trustee

you could try regions i suppose.....

i know the frustrations with subclips - a great idea very poorly implemented.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, I did give a thought to using regions. I don't think you can lock them to a clip though, can you? I've switched off the edit box and I have a very early flight tomorrow so I am reluctant to experiment tonight!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Ian Stark; February 2nd, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Trustee

i was under the impression that if you mark them in trimmer they're saved with the clip?

i often use them but haven't ever used a marked clip in another project....

worth a try though.... (i'd give it a whirl but am not at my editing pc).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...