DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   What's the most common reason why Vegas can't render and shuts off? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/491161-whats-most-common-reason-why-vegas-cant-render-shuts-off.html)

Norris Combs February 3rd, 2011 01:08 AM

What's the most common reason why Vegas can't render and shuts off?

Footage is 1920 x 1080 30i, I'm trying to render out to the same quality. I suspect it's my computer that's not up to it. Vegas closes a few seconds after I start the render. My PC: XP, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz, 3.25 GB RAM, hard drive is 750 GB.

This PC was able to render to 1440 x 1080.

Thanks,

Leslie Wand February 3rd, 2011 01:10 AM

just the one hd?

how much space?

if so try getting an external and render to that....

Norris Combs February 3rd, 2011 09:17 AM

Oh, I have 2 hard drives. The C drive for the OS and all the program files, E drive is only for my videos. Each is 750 GB.

Jeff Harper February 3rd, 2011 11:36 AM

Your PC sounds underpowered for HD. I don't like working with HD on my i7, if that tells you anything.

Some folks use an intermediate program such as Cineform to make file more usable. That would help, but I personally dislike the process, and Cineform can introduce a whole new set of issues, as any software can do.

You have too little ram, a processor that is not optimized for this work, and if your HD is slow, you have a recipe for poor performance.

This would be a good time to buy the i7 processor, as they are inexpensive right now.

Some get by with the Q6600, but I can't imagine how they do it.

Buba Kastorski February 3rd, 2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 1614112)
Footage is 1920 x 1080 30i, I'm trying to render out to the same quality. I suspect it's my computer that's not up to it. Vegas closes a few seconds after I start the render. My PC: Thanks,

what footage was shot with, what's 30i, is it 60i? any conversion involved before Vegas?

Norris Combs February 3rd, 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1614279)
what footage was shot with, what's 30i, is it 60i? any conversion involved before Vegas?

My camcorder is Canon HF-S100. When I imported the video, it shows the resolution as 1920 x 1080 at 29.xx.

Norris Combs February 3rd, 2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1614259)
Your PC sounds underpowered for HD. I don't like working with HD on my i7, if that tells you anything.

Some folks use an intermediate program such as Cineform to make file more usable. That would help, but I personally dislike the process, and Cineform can introduce a whole new set of issues, as any software can do.

You have too little ram, a processor that is not optimized for this work, and if your HD is slow, you have a recipe for poor performance.

This would be a good time to buy the i7 processor, as they are inexpensive right now.

Some get by with the Q6600, but I can't imagine how they do it.

Please explain why you don't like working with HD on your i7 PC, yet you're suggesting that I should buy one. Thanks,

Rainer Listing February 3rd, 2011 07:50 PM

Norris, you don't mention your operating system or which version of Vegas. The main reason for render crashes on 32 bit Vegas - if that's what you are running - is a 2GB memory cap. There are fixes which have been discussed in this forum, see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...y-torment.html

Norris Combs February 3rd, 2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Listing (Post 1614405)
Norris, you don't mention your operating system or which version of Vegas. The main reason for render crashes on 32 bit Vegas - if that's what you are running - is a 2GB memory cap. There are fixes which have been discussed in this forum, see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...y-torment.html

OS is XP. Vegas Pro 8, 32 bit. I didn't know about the 2 GB memory cap. So even though I installed 4 GB, and it shows 3.25 is available for work, only 2 GB are being used?

Magnus Helander February 4th, 2011 09:35 AM

Heat

In my experience insufficient cooling on CPU & system is the main problem.
/m

Jeff Harper February 4th, 2011 09:45 AM

He's running his cpu at stock speed. Cooling should not be an issue. He is running what is now an nearly outdated CPU (at least for hd video) and he only has 3gb of ram. Upping his ram usage will likely do little to help with his current system.

But who knows.

Norris Combs February 4th, 2011 01:33 PM

I'm gonna build a new PC, can you guys suggest some minimum spec for the components? I believe the most important is CPU, motherboard, GPU, hard drives. If you already have a recent setup that works well for you, please list its compnents.

Thanks,

Rainer Listing February 4th, 2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 1614450)
OS is XP. Vegas Pro 8, 32 bit. I didn't know about the 2 GB memory cap. So even though I installed 4 GB, and it shows 3.25 is available for work, only 2 GB are being used?

Yes. Do the memory hack and you should be sweet.

Leif Skoglund February 5th, 2011 06:27 AM

I'ver used the guides from these "guys" a couple of times:

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' System Recommendations for Video Editing

Magnus Helander February 6th, 2011 08:03 AM

I wrote down some of my experiences with vegas, starting from v4 2003 ...

Magnus Helander - random findings / Optimizing Sony Vegas editing

/m