My Visit with the folks at Sony Creative Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Major Player

My Visit with the folks at Sony Creative Software

Several weeks ago I was invited to the offices of Sony Creative Software for a tour. Never being one to pass by an opportunity when it presents itself, I decided that when I was in the area and had some free time I would stop on in. Lets face it...how exciting can it be to visit an office with a bunch of people working on computers.

I should say I was rather impressed. SCS is located in the same building as the FBI. I dont know what kind of stuff they work on at Sony, but you have to get by the FBI offices before you can get to SCS!

Once there, I was asked to sign in and given a visitors badge. I was given a tour by Training manager -Gary Rebholz. Gary is a very cordial guy and very knowledgable.

Gary told me he and his team are working hard putting together these training webinars, and training videos.

We need to support them, by logging in and helping them develop their training program. They need our feedback.

Gary took me to the state of the art studio with the state of the art sound booth... (sort of) Let me say..that SCS knows how to work the camera magic!

In a nutshell Im glad I had some facetime with Gary from SCS. My impression is that SCS is definately in this for the long haul as it appears they have allowed room for future growth.
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Glad to hear, thanks for the info. Hopefully the "room for future growth" is indeed unfilled space, as opposed to recently emptied space... =)

Although I think putting so much effort into training is a bit of a cart-before-the-horse considering all the teething problems v10 is having, you mean, logging into our sonycreativesoftware.com accounts and providing feedback there?

Thanks,
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Trustee

i'd dump the training, the guided tours, in fact everything NOT concerned with getting the bugs out of 10!

all the rest is a waste of time if people are dumping / avoiding the product because of bugs.....
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Longman View Post
Glad to hear, thanks for the info. Hopefully the "room for future growth" is indeed unfilled space, as opposed to recently emptied space... =)

Although I think putting so much effort into training is a bit of a cart-before-the-horse considering all the teething problems v10 is having, you mean, logging into our sonycreativesoftware.com accounts and providing feedback there?

Thanks,
I am talking more about the webiniars they offer and the Q&A sessions they offer. Please understand I come from a corporate training background so I have a soft spot for the education depts. I have not upgraded to V10 yet so I have no knowledge about the "bugs"
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

David, I'm disappointed that Gary didn't give you a free copy of Pro 10 & DVDA 5.2 just for coming for a visit :)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

well of course you have to get by the FBI to get to SCS. Have you ever seen Sonys NDA? ;-)
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Sonys NDA? okay lost here.....

As far as the free stuff goes, I thought perhaps I would get a version of Vegas 11 or 12 Beta to test....BUT then again I wont know what to be testing in the first place!

I was thinking....Do you think they have a secret office there where they have a laison from the FBI that works with the gurus at sony to come up with a standard FBI warning at the beginning of every DVD we produce? LOL
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement
Translation? You can't/won't tell anyone what you see/work or you will suffer extreme consequences :)

As far as the free stuff goes, I thought perhaps I would get a version of Vegas 11 or 12 Beta to test....BUT then again I wont know what to be testing in the first place!

In a nutshell, you play with it, see if it gives you any kind of grief and report the grief in the hopes that it will be fixed before the software is officially released.
That's called beta testing and a lot of us are convinced that there's not enough of it being done lately :(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Major Player

ah heck...release it to the public and then let them find the bugs! then be reactive instead of proactive! :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...