DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Stuck/Hot/Dead Pixels - Any Known Fixes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/491582-stuck-hot-dead-pixels-any-known-fixes.html)

Mike Hammond February 10th, 2011 09:33 PM

Stuck/Hot/Dead Pixels - Any Known Fixes?

Hi everyone,

I have some footage that is aesthetically ruined by the surprise appearance of (at least) 3 spots of hot/stuck/dead pixels from my XH-A1s footage. From what I gather, they are either stuck or hot because they're bright, and dead pixels should be black.

Anyhow, I found some answers here in the forum about using masking or cookie cutter to fix them. That's not seeming like a workable answer for me because it would take forever to go through to each clip that is affected and run through the motions of applying masks or applying the cookie cutter.

I found a freeware d/l online called stuckvideopixelremover.dll but had no luck installing it. And from what I understand I don't think it's going to work with my Pro 9, 64-bit Vista version of Vegas.

Anything else out there I just haven't run across in my hour of Googling this? I can't believe that with all of us shooters out here that there isn't something to plug or easily apply to my tracks to quickly take care of this.

Thanks much!

Edward Troxel February 11th, 2011 09:27 AM

Why would applying a cookie cutter take forever? If there's only three spots, you simply apply three cookie cutters and make them small enough to only cover those little bitty areas. I would then put a second copy of the video underneath and offset it by a couple of pixels so good video will show through. You ought to be done in under 60 seconds.

Mike Hammond February 11th, 2011 03:43 PM

Hi Ed,

I have already edited my footage into lots of pieces on the timeline. So I'd have to go through the process adding three cookie cutter tracks, mulitplied by 21 tracks I have for the full film, and then offset every one of my media events. Unless I'm missing something, I think that's my only option for this project.

Edward Troxel February 11th, 2011 04:41 PM

There definitely are other options for adding the cookie cutters. For example, you can add them to the media in the Project Media and you only have to add them once and they'll automatically be everyplace in the project the clip is used. Without seeing your specific project, though, it's really hard to give specifics.

Robert St-Onge February 11th, 2011 07:07 PM

Hi Mike,

There is BorisFx BCC Pixel Fixer, but unfortunately it is not available as a separate unit and only comes as part of BCC 7 and then it only works with Sony Vegas Pro 10 and might be an expensive solution.

So just a thought, don't know how valuable your footage is, but this can rescue it and considering the work you do after checking your site, it could be handy. Nice work btw!