Can I eliminate the Wooshing noise in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Can I eliminate the Wooshing noise in Vegas?

I am trying to figure out how to eliminate the "wooshing" Whooshing" noise from the audio. Ideally Iwould like to figure this out and eliminate it during the initial acquistion.

I am using Sony professional headphones, and the minute i plug them in I hear a sound. It doesnt matter what camera I try them on...Perhaps this is normal as I am comparing them to Bose Noise reduction headphones i used to wear when i traveled back and forth to Asia.

I play with the Audio Gain Control and it doesnt seem to help. I have tried both MAnual Audio input control and Automatic Gain Control.

So if I cant stop it before post...I am trying to remove it

I have tried adjusting the threshold level in the Track Noise Gate Audio effects, but I am unable to find a happy medium, as the woosh becomes intermittent. and the sound is unnatural as it appears to be cutting in and out.

Thoughts-Suggestions?
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

David,
It kind of sounds like it might be the camera preamp OR the wireless causing this. If you could email me a small sample I think I might be able to help you out on it. I have a couple of presets that might work.
Make sure the sample has both the noise and someone speaking so I can compare it.
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Trustee

It sounds like a problem with your headphones or the electronics feeding the headphones.

On the Vegas audio track take a look at the sound wave representation of a portion where there should be no sound. If it is just a smooth line, there is no noise regardless of what your headphones are telling you. If there is noise, it shows as tiny spikes on the line. You may need to zoom in to see it well.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

David, when I got my first pair of really good headphones a number of years ago, I was astounded at how bad I thought my field recordings were.
It turned out the headphones were too good as I couldn't hear those same sounds back in the edit suite on a good set of monitors (Yamaha NS-10M).
Make sure this isn't what's happening to you too.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys... im a lil perplexed... it doesnt help matters that I have tinnutis! I can compensentate for that constant ringing in my ears... but its definate wooshing.

Just for the fun of it i did a little experiment and recorded to my zoom h4n. Sounds great when i bring into Vegas.. plug mic into the Beachtek or the camera direct....Woosh!...

I tried it on another camera as well..with the same results.
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Major Player

What is normal?

Perhaps my inexperience is hearing something that is normal and translating it into a problem. I have attached a test file in .wav format for you pros to review.
Attached Files
File Type: wav SP0000.WAV (4.80 MB, 121 views)
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I listened on my laptop with sime cheap headphones so I could be wrong here but there seem to be a little noise in the background but that could be the phones I had on. If it isn't then the fix is pretty simple.

OK forget this. I just realized I had this set up to send to someone else for a different audio problem so it doesn't apply here.

I DID listen to it on my edit machine and by using the 20 band GRaphic EQ and going to the 900 to 7.2K bands the noise can be adjusted out but be careful as you can also interfere with the voice as well.

Last edited by Don Bloom; February 15th, 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: wrong stuff included before
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

By no means am I even reasonably competent in the use of iZotope RX but I ran your clip through the Denoiser tool using the default settings and here's what I came up with.
This program is amazing!!
Attached Files
File Type: wav SP0000-fixed.wav (4.80 MB, 118 views)
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
This program is amazing!!
Ain't that the truth. If you can hear it, you'll see it first in IZO-Rx.

Mike, if you get RXII, try out the Magic Wand, then find some harmonics to play with.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Grazie, I bought RX2 when it was announced to get the good price on it.
However, I've been so busy wrapped up in a lot of other things that I completely forgot to install it :(
Thanks for the reminder!!
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I also tried a couple of different audio programs such as Audicity and Gold Wave and was able to reduce it as well as my NR plug in that I use in Vegas which eliminated the noise without disturbing the voice.

The Graphic EQ is a way to reduce it by staying in Vegas and without spending any money to reduce or eliminate the noise.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Major Player

Mike....

Wow... that is impressive....

Don..I do have audacity....
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
Mike....

Wow... that is impressive....
Grazie gives it his blessing so you know it's good !!
And it can be yours for the low low price of only $349 U.S.
That's why I jumped on it when it was initially released as it was almost 1/2 price.
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Inner Circle

David, if $349 is too much for you (and it probably is), check out another iZotope product called iZotope Music & Speech Cleaner as it's only $40 U.S.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Another vote for Izotope. I love it.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...