DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 10 and Photoshop. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/491954-vegas-10-photoshop.html)

Michael Tobias February 18th, 2011 03:34 PM

Vegas 10 and Photoshop.

Back when I was using Vegas 8 and 9 with Photoshop CS3, anytime I had a still on my Vegas time line and needed to make a change, I could open up Photoshop, open the file, make a change, save and close and voila, it would be updated instantly on the Vegas timeline.

HOWEVER, now with Vegas 10 and Photoshop CS4, if I need to make a change I open up the file, make the change, but NOW I get "cannot save file it is locked or already open" So sure enough I have to close Vegas, make my change to the still, open Vegas back up and THEN re-import the file again. I have never had to re-import a changed file in Vegas before, it would always automatically update.

Has anyone else had this issue? I haven't seen anything in the Sony forums about it but I know I can't be the only one using stills that sometimes needs to be updated and would prefer not to have to close everything to make a small change.

Ian Stark February 18th, 2011 06:08 PM

Hi Michael,

I have only seen this when the timeline head is over the image at the time I am trying to save. I'm pretty sure I recall this from earlier versions of Vegas as well. I'm a very heavy user of stills and I frequently need to go back into Photoshop to edit something. On those occasions, just making sure the image doesn't have the focus in Vegas does the trick (for me). I've certainly never had to close Vegas down. Same goes for DVDA.

Michael Tobias February 18th, 2011 06:34 PM

Thanks for the tip Ian. I tried moving my head but it didn't make any difference (that's what she said...) I've never had this happen with stills before either. Shutting down Vegas to update is certainly becoming a PITA.

Mike Kujbida February 18th, 2011 08:50 PM

Michael, give Open In Graphic Editor a try.
It's a great script that I use a lot.
Special thanks to Gilles Pialat for his work on this and all the other free scripts on the site.

Ian Stark February 19th, 2011 02:25 AM

Very interesting looking resource, Mike. Thanks for posting the link. Do you know if there is any description for all those scripts or are they all 'suck it and see'?

Michael, sorry the head tip didn't work (!). I've just tried it again and it works fine for me - in fact, it's only when the media is actually playing that it prevents saving. Even with the timeline head over the image it doesn't do that. I wondered if perhaps the picture was open in another window (pan/crop, track motion etc) that maybe would have an effect, but no. Weird.

Interesting to see if the Gilles Pialat script does the trick.

Mike Kujbida February 19th, 2011 07:06 AM

Ian, most (all?) of the zipped scripts have a readme file in them for a bit more detail.

Michael, another thing to check is the Close media files when not the active application box in Options - Preferences - General.
If it's enabled, disable it and vice-versa.

Ian Stark February 19th, 2011 07:13 AM

Thanks Mike - didn't think of that. Will check them out - there are a few that look interesting.

Edward Troxel February 19th, 2011 07:37 AM

My guess is the "Close media when not the active application" has been turned off. In order for PhotoShop to save, Vegas cannot have it open. People change that option so Vegas will come back faster when you move away from Vegas and then come back. However, it also leaves the files locked so changed in other programs cannot be saved.

Michael Tobias February 24th, 2011 04:39 PM

Re: Vegas 10 and Photoshop.

AHA.. after being away for a bit and now back I have got to say you guys are FREAKIN' GENIUSES. Thank you. I completely overlooked the "Close media when not the active application" box. That did the trick. I suppose it's the little things in life that make it all worth while.

Graham Bernard February 25th, 2011 01:42 AM

Re: Vegas 10 and Photoshop.

Being one of the guys that nudged for Gilles's script to happen, and NOT being a programmer, I've been using this Open In Graphic Editor since it's creation. It just works! He created this cute Icon that now sits on my Toolbar and getting to PSP is only a click away.

Grazie