Red Giant dumps Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Red Giant dumps Vegas?

Has anyone noticed that Red Gaint no longer supports Sony Vegas 10 anymore so there is no way to buy Magic Bullet Looks for the latest Vegas! I wonder if they are aware how many professionals actually edit on Vegas? They claim that it's not worth the development costs since not enough people are buying for Vegas, I say this is a bad business decision, they haven't really ever development anything proper for Vegas to begin with, how can we buy software that doesnt exist? I'm very disapointed!
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Red Giant dumps Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Has anyone noticed that Red Gaint no longer supports Sony Vegas 10 anymore so there is no way to buy Magic Bullet Looks for the latest Vegas! I wonder if they are aware how many professionals actually edit on Vegas? They claim that it's not worth the development costs since not enough people are buying for Vegas, I say this is a bad business decision, they haven't really ever development anything proper for Vegas to begin with, how can we buy software that doesnt exist? I'm very disapointed!
Actually, Red Giant does not support any 64-bit version of Vegas, for that matter... :(
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Trustee

this has been brought up on a couple of other news groups as well.....

i had looks on 9, but having gone 10/64bit i just haven't bothered with plugins per se. i was never that enamoured with looks, other than it's simplicity.

frankly i think there's going to be a whole new plethora of ofx plugins coming along in the future - genarts have sapphire and monster for vegas, and they are REALLY serious players. then there's boris 7, not that it's all that stable at present, but these things will sort themselves out.

personally i'm sick to death of beautifully manipulated crap with absolutely no content - (like most music videos, for which most cc'ing plugins were probably developed for!).

at the end of the day, if anyone is so dependent on a plugin, they obviously haven't got the right nle ;-)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Nicholas, Red Giant has never embraced Vegas, unless I'm mistaken. Vegas was an afterthought.

Bad business decision by Red Giant? I find it easy to believe that Vegas does not have the market share required to justify developing products for it. I've always hated that about Vegas, but is it the great truth we must accept. Vegas is pretty much on the fringe, no matter how much you and I like it.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Major Player

And why would you even consider using Magic Bullet? You mean, you've ever come across a video worked through magic bullet that was not too processed? Are you saying that Vegas color correction is not enough? If it's the case, I strongly disagree. I've used Magic Bullet before, this is really the plug in I could go without. Makes you lazy. You don't need it.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Magic Bullet has very nice film effects, and while not perfect, is a very nice plug in for those that use it.

Why should I use a car wash to clean my car, when I could use a hose at home and do it myself?

Because I can.

I loved MB, but I gave it up due to rendering times and non 64bit support.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Trustee

disappointing. That was the very reason which i went for FCP. However i still love Vegas and use it for most of my work. I have gone away from MB Looks at cc solely within Vegas.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Major Player

I am able to achieve subtle looks with MB that I am just not able to do in Vegas. Used in moderation it's a truly great plugin and I still use Vegas 32bit because of it.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i just wanted them to make Colorista for Vegas 64bit <sigh>
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Does anybody know what the annual sales figures are for Vegas Pro vs Adobe Premeire, Final Cut Pro, and Avid? I would have thought that due to the price advantage Sony would have good volume.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons View Post
Does anybody know what the annual sales figures are for Vegas Pro vs Adobe Premeire, Final Cut Pro, and Avid? I would have thought that due to the price advantage Sony would have good volume.
I suspect the marketing demographics are a bit more complicated than that. A significant question is what percentage of Vegas users are likely potential customers for Red Giant's relatively expensive plug-ins compared to other more expensive NLE's. There is a general perception that Vegas isn't used as often with professional editors. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions but they look at the overall potential available market, not just a subset of it.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Trustee

i think jim's probably right - no matter how much i (we?) love vegas, we are really a niche market with (from what i gather reading the various ng's) mainly event and advanced hobbyists. and this is likely to remain so as long as vegas fails to provide 'professional' features, not least time code / edl / collaborative services.

that said, we were being asked to pay a premium price for a relatively limited plug in. by that i mean it's sole function was 'looks', not like bcc7 which offers a range of utilities.

i'm sure vegas's user base is nowhere near the size of ppro, avid, fcp, and until it is we wont see many more plugins developed for it, unless they're ofx.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Leslie, I've said what you have said many times.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Trustee

i know jeff, i know......

and obviously i do accept it - hence my apathetic defence of vegas.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Leslie, when I re-read my post, it sounded like I was telling you to accept it, but that is NOT what I meant. You already know, of course, and I kind of meant we all need to accept it, not just you and I. I just removed the remark to be safe!

Glad you posted, always like your remarks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...