HD to SD DVD, V-dub versus TMPGenc - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: HD to SD DVD, V-dub versus TMPGenc

Jeff you could work as normal and export a quick file with markers so that these can set the markers in DVDA. Then change the media in DVDA. Once set the markers will stay for the new file. Either for a Bluray file or the SD for DVD file. That is what I do. I edit in Edius encode in TMPGenc but do all my audio in Vegas. Bluray in DVDA and SD DVD mostly in DVDLAb.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Ron, what can I say? Other than the fact that I re-render things after I find mistakes, and would then have to re-render twice after fixing things, I could live with that. What an excellent idea, thanks!

Of course I would only have to re-render if the length was longer or shorter, so most times I would be fine.

Might have a plan now, a new one.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

It depends on what you view as mistakes. If the mistakes are editing ones then just play off the timeline until you are happy. Then you only have to render off Vegas once and then convert in TMPGenc. If the issue is due to the encode so will not be seen until the DVD is made then you are correct it will mean going through the process again. I tend to watch from the timeline on a TV so that only export once to TMPGenc for video encode. I often redo the audio though just substituting media in either DVDA or DVDLab.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Well, thanks Ron. I guess I will download TMPGenc and give it a go!
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
2) Perrone Ford method: Edit in Vegas, render a lossless AVI file (Lagarith), resize in virtual dub, import back to Vegas, render an MPEG2 video file and AC3 audio file, burn in DVDA. Works great but oh my is it slow.
I'm trying this method for the first time....Im getting great final results on the PC, however, when burning to DVD and watching on a DVD player/TV the footage looks jerky, especially where there is motion.

Anybody point me to what i'm doing wrong !!
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Barlow View Post
I'm trying this method for the first time....Im getting great final results on the PC, however, when burning to DVD and watching on a DVD player/TV the footage looks jerky, especially where there is motion.

Anybody point me to what i'm doing wrong !!
It appears that you have deinterlaced the video but forgot to re-interlace it. This would have resulted in Vegas or DVDA inserting the wrong pulldown flags into the resulting MPEG-2 output (or more specifically, putting in unneeded pulldown flags, which actually reduces the frame rate from 30 fps to 24 fps as detected by the standalone DVD player). Also, what looks "good" on a computer monitor often does not look good out of a standalone DVD player due to their being fundamentally different: DVD is natively interlaced while computer monitors are natively progressive.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...