2 hour Vegas Video for DVD...please help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 hour Vegas Video for DVD...please help!

My head is spinning!!!

I have fairly minimal technical expertese, so having looked through the wealth of information on this forum is no hurting my small brain!! Hopefully some kind soul will offer me a simple solution?!

I went on a trip to Florida with the charity Dreamflight which takes a plane full of seriously ill children from here in the UK for an amazing holiday. I spent the holiday with one of the groups, filming every moment. I now have 11 seperate video edits (1 for each day) completed in Sony Vegas, which total 2 hours almost to the second. This now needs to be put together on a simple DVD to give to the kids families and friends. I have rendered to MPEG2 but the files won't fit on a DVD at full quality clearly. I have adjusted the video to average bps of 5,000,000 but the quality is horrible.

I filmed the footage on a Panasonic HMC150 and havent converted during the workflow (Im not entirely sure of the exact format, is there a way of reporting on this?) I dont have to worry about DVD's usually, so this is causing me a lot of pain! This is a DVD for the kids parents so I want to do the best job possible, but currently my knowledge isnt good enough for this task! Is there an relatively easy way of solving this issue? Apparently trying to go along the route of dual layer disks has caused big problems in previous years, so that isn't an option.

So....speak slowly and clearly for me...and I really hope someone can come up with something that will help me. Let me know if you need any more info from me. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Matthew Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 2 hour Vegas Video for DVD...please help!

Your problem with video degradion is not with 5,000.000 Mpeg2. It is more has to do with Vegas unable to down converted your HD video to SD video for DVD. And it did a crappy job for the conversion. You need to do a search here about HD to SD down conversion for DVD. You'll be glad you did, it has a boat loads of very good information, instruction on how to get good quality DVD from a HD source. Good luck.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...d-quality.html
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The video actually looked pretty good at a higher rate...which just wouldnt fit.

Thanks for the link....I have scoured through it, and thats when blood started to trickle from my ear slowly.... It may sound lazy, but it did kinda blow my mind. Any specific posts or methods that you could point me in the direction of?!

Such a shame its such a hard task! Its kinda needs an "idiots guide"...I'd sign up!
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

First if you didn't convert it properly, it won't look it's best.

But if it looked good enough at a higher bit rate, cut some out, take it down 20 minutes or so, then you can raise your bit rate.

Otherwise, you'll have to buy dual layer disc, then your problem is solved.

5,000,000 is low, and I know some feel that's fine, but I find at that rate videos do look pretty bad. At least that has been my experience.
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Matthew, any reason why you're not using a dual layer disk? We regularly put full documentary weddings (heaviliy chapterised of course, on dual layer disks. Only caution is make sure your authoring system allows playback on all players. We switched from authoring on DVD Lab (which didn't play on Blu-ray and other high end players) to TMPGenc's Authoring Works 4 (which plays on everything.)
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Or maybe put it on two disks?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stokes View Post
I have adjusted the video to average bps of 5,000,000 but the quality is horrible.
Can you define "horrible" quality?
Does the picture look muddy or are you seeing interlace artifacts?
Have you watched it on a TV set?
Did you render it using a 2-pass encode?
Try rendering a short section using the following VBR settings and do it as a 2-pass.
8,000,000 / 4,896,000 / 2,936,000

I'm asking because I shot a 2.5 hr. stage play last spring that went on a single DVD and the quality was fine.
I was using a good camera under excellent lighting conditions which helped a lot.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I regularly put over 2 hours on a DVD but I use TMPGenc to do the downconvert and encode. I always use VBR, 2 pass. With TMPGenc you can see on a scale how the disc is filling up with the length of the video file and alter the bit rate so that it is less than 90% full( at least that is what use). I would suggest you export a lossless file from Vegas and download the trial for TMPGenc V5 and let it encode to DVD.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

And here's a link: TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5

or http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tp.html
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thats great, Im going to give that a go. What lossless format do you suggest I render to?

Thanks!!
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Matthew, any reason why you're not using a dual layer disk? We regularly put full documentary weddings (heaviliy chapterised of course, on dual layer disks. Only caution is make sure your authoring system allows playback on all players. We switched from authoring on DVD Lab (which didn't play on Blu-ray and other high end players) to TMPGenc's Authoring Works 4 (which plays on everything.)
Hey Philip, have you used dual layer bluray disks?
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #12
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Phung View Post
Your problem with video degradion is not with 5,000.000 Mpeg2. It is more has to do with Vegas unable to down converted your HD video to SD video for DVD. And it did a crappy job for the conversion. You need to do a search here about HD to SD down conversion for DVD. You'll be glad you did, it has a boat loads of very good information, instruction on how to get good quality DVD from a HD source. Good luck.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...d-quality.html
Actually, Vegas 10 does a fine job downconverting 1080 to SD. In previous versions, I'd recommend going to 720 first, and THEN to SD, but V10 does a great job with straight 1080 to 480. (No reason to think it would be as good going from 1080 to 576.)

Any time you render and you change the frame size, though, make sure you're rendering using BEST video quality.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Gosh Matthew

Rather get simple!! I do stacks of weddings that are around your time frame and although a dual layer disk is "neater" simply a dual case with DVD1 and DVD2 is really easy and cheap. Dunno what you pay for blank disks in the UK but DL's here are around $1.50 each compared to normal blanks at 30c each!!!

Besides, a double disk case with twin disks looks more impressive!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Major Player

It should be possible to fit two hours on a 4.7GB disk with acceptable quality. Here is a possibility:

HMC150 -> Vegas -> blu-ray preset -> HD Master

and then

HD Master -> Avisynth -> deinterlace to 30p -> noise filter -> hd2sd -> HCencoder or Tmpgenc

Deinterlacing and filtering will reduce bitrate requirements, hd2sd is Dan Isaacs scaling script for avisynth and HCencoder or Tmpgenc are more efficient encoders than the one built into Vegas.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Jubal 28

Well, he's in England, so he doesn't want to deinterlace to 30p.

But again, even if you're in NTSC territory, you only want to deinterlace to 30p if you want the motion of 30p. (You sure don't want to do it with 24p footage.)
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...