DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   'crop' problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/492906-crop-problem.html)

Andy Tejral March 10th, 2011 08:18 AM

'crop' problem

Please to look at this YouTube - RFTC Keddie Wye @ about 2 min, the lines of my map don't extend to the end of the frame. They seemed to be cropped at the safe action area.

This is just two tracks: a background and a PNG with an alpha channel. I'm using the Event pan/crop to do the rotation. Where is this crop coming from? I don't see any options in E p/c. There is plenty of 'picture' there--that's not the issue.

Using Vegas 9..

Thanks,

Edward Troxel March 10th, 2011 08:28 AM

Re: 'crop' problem

After dropping a still image on the timeline, open Pan/Crop, right-click the image, and then choose "Match Output Aspect". Once that is done you won't have a problem with it not extending to the edge.

Mike Kujbida March 10th, 2011 08:30 AM

Andy, the only thing I can think of is to go into Pan/Crop, right-click and select Match Output Aspect.

Andy Tejral March 10th, 2011 08:45 AM

Bingo! Thanks guys. (oops, now I see I do NOT have enough image on one side!)

Generally, I like Vegas but they seem to like to 'hide' stuff like that where other pgms might offer different ways to get there?

And there isn't even a check mark to show it is turned on! (There should be one there, no?)

Again, thanks for your speedy help!

Edward Troxel March 10th, 2011 08:57 AM

There's no "checkmark" because all it does is change the settings on the left hand side to match your current project settings. If you used this option and THEN changed the project settings, it would be "wrong" again - for your usage.

Andy Tejral March 10th, 2011 12:01 PM

Sorry, not understanding you at all.

If I changed the project settings, i'd still want the image to match the project size, wouldn't I?

I didn't see any settings change I'll have to pay closer attention.

Edward Troxel March 10th, 2011 12:44 PM

When you choose "Match Output Aspect", it changes the pan/crop settings to match the CURRENT property settings. However, if you then change the properties to some other esttings, the pan/crop settings will remain whatever they currently are. If the aspect no longer matches, you would then need to go in and match the new aspect.

Andy Tejral March 10th, 2011 04:20 PM

Dunno, that just sounds more like a bug than a feature. And overall, I'm less than thrilled with the event p/c. I think I should have used track motion? Not sure when to use which...

But I get Vegas a lot more than, say, Premiere. I just don't grok Adobe.

And ironically enough, from the sub-forum name, this clip isn't staying in Vegas! For this project, I did almost everything in Edius (which I grok best). But, in at least v5, Edius doesn't have a good way to rotate a picture.

Edward Troxel March 11th, 2011 08:09 AM

It's definitely not a bug. It simply uses what ever settings are entered on the left side. Selecting that option simply changes those settings. If you then change something else in Vegas that makes it so that other settings would work better, you would then need to change to the newer settings. Nothing strange at all. It's not an "automatically adjust this no matter what" type of tool.

BTW, if the project settings are set correctly from the beginning and the option to automatically apply the match aspect ration is turned on, this should not be an issue. In your case, either that option was not turned on (or you're using a version before this was added to the preferences), or you changed the project settings after these were added to the timeline.

As a rough idea of when to use which, the name of the tools actually gives a generic guideline:

1) Pan/Crop - will allow cropping and panning of an image. If you need to zoom in, you definitely want to use Pan/Crop as it will use the full resolution of the images.

2) Track Motion - will allow resizing and positioning of the events on the track. This is very useful for resizing smaller and then properly positioning for a PIP, for example. This will use the resolution of the video frame to try to NOT zoom IN using this tool.

However, you can do some of the same tasks in both.

Mike Kujbida March 11th, 2011 08:49 AM

To expand on what Edward said, if I was to drop a 2896 x 1944 still (resolution from my Nikon still camera) on a 720 x 480 timeline, Pan/Crop would allow me to do a deep zoom on it while maintaining quality as it uses the image's full resolution.
Track Motion instantly resizes it to 720 x 480 so a deep zoom on it would be a pixelated mess.

It comes down to using the right tool for the job.