Make search for missing file window bigger at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Make search for missing file window bigger

I had to rename some file on a project because I had the wrong date in the file. Now when I open the project I need to specify new locations but the path is cut off because of the length and I can't tell which file I'm replacing. Is there a way to enlarge the search/specify new path window?
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Make search for missing file window bigger

If you remaned your video file name, Vegas will not be able to find it. If you have move the file to different location, then a search will find it. You need to change the name back or re-import that renamed video clips. Unless someone can show me another way how to do it.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Stan, all you need to do is to make the search window that comes up larger by stretching it.
Whenever this happens to me, that's what I do to correct it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It doesn't stretch. It's only one size.
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Phung View Post
If you remaned your video file name, Vegas will not be able to find it. If you have move the file to different location, then a search will find it. You need to change the name back or re-import that renamed video clips. Unless someone can show me another way how to do it.
The only reason I want to avoid that is because the project is a band's performance with a couple different angles and audio sources synced together. If I re-import everything I have to re-sync it also. I've already chopped up a couple tracks also so I don't want to start from scratch. If I can juse see which file Vegas is looking for I can simply point to the renamed file and the problem is solved.
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Harkleroad View Post
It doesn't stretch. It's only one size.
I'm confused then.
I'm referring to the window that comes up when you right-click on it in Project Media and select Replace.
Which one are you having issues with?
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm talking about the window that comes up when you open a project file and the location or name of a file has changed. It lets you search or name a replacement file for the one it can't find. Since I had to change the name of the files it's now looking for the originals but since I can't see the full path it's looking for I don't know which file it's asking for.
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I got it to work by guessing somewhat. It was looking for the audio files first and I could see one letter from the filename it was looking for. So I selected new sources for both audio files I used and then both video files and it worked fine.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to enlarge that window though. If I ever happen to make the same mistake again it would be nice to know.
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm talking about the window that comes up when you open a project file and the location or name of a file has changed.

Ah, that window :)
Now that I know what you're talking about, my advice remains the same.
Even though you can't see the full path, click the "Specify a new location or replacement file" option.
You probably still won't be able to see the full path in the window that comes up.
This is when you stretch this window larger (this one CAN be stretched) to see what the original file name and location was.
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The file explorer window can be stretched but that original window can't so I cna't tell which file Vegas is looking for to tell it a replacement. Specifying a new file isn't the problem, it's knowing which Vegas is trying to open at the time.
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I do realize that.
What I'm saying is that if you choose the option I recommended, the explorer window that comes up (after stretching) has that exact same name at the top of it as indicated in the attached screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Make search for missing file window bigger-missing-1.jpg   Make search for missing file window bigger-missing-2.jpg  

Old March 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well damn, ain't that something. You can pretty much disregard this whole thread then. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Proving once again that a picture really is worth 1,000 words :)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...