New Computer for editting in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 18th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Computer for editting in Vegas

I am curious if this configuration would be acceptable for working with Vegas on HD footage from my JVC GYHD100:
Pavilion Desktop / AMD Phenom™ II Six-Core Processor / 8GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
For fast read/write times.
ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics
Feature up to 1GB DDR3 dedicated video memory for lush images with stunning detail. HDMI and DVI outputs for flexible connectivity options.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Blu-ray Disc-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Features full read support for next-generation Blu-ray Disc (BD-ROM). Double-layer support using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
3MB L2 + 6MB L3 cache memory
For efficient system processing.
My current computer keeps freezing when I am editting. Very frustrating.
Suzanne Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New Computer for editting in Vegas

It might be work, but as an editor, don't skimp. If you can afford it, look at the one below.

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-590t series | HP Official Store
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Trustee

agree with Jeff,
this work we do is just a royal P.I.T.A if your gear is under-spec.
Buy the absolute best you can afford to avoid the ..."Wow, i thought it would run better than that".
I made one on that site too, lol
I reckon its pretty good value :)
Attached Thumbnails
New Computer for editting in Vegas-new-pc.jpg  
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am trying to keep this under 1200.00. Here is a model I can afford. I really wish that if I put a computer chip under my pillow the computer fairy would leave me what I need.

HP - Pavilion Elite Desktop / AMD Phenom™ II Processor / 8GB Memory / 2TB Hard Drive
Model: hpe-570f

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input.
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Lucas View Post
I am trying to keep this under 1200.00. Here is a model I can afford. I really wish that if I put a computer chip under my pillow the computer fairy would leave me what I need.

HP - Pavilion Elite Desktop / AMD Phenom™ II Processor / 8GB Memory / 2TB Hard Drive
Model: hpe-570f

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input.
Here is the problem:

The AMD processors are relatively weak when it comes to Vegas performance compared to even some of the old, now-obsolete Intel Core 2 processors. This is because the AMD processors lack support for SSE 4.x, which is required for most of the "prosumer" NLEs. In fact, in Premiere Pro (which I am using as an example), the six-core AMD processors, even when heavily overclocked, barely keeps pace with the slowest of the stock-speed Intel i7-920 systems. Unfortunately, HP does not allow any overclocking at all whatsoever on any of its systems - and then, the cases that its systems are housed in are very cramped on the inside, leaving barely enough room for even two hard drives and contributing to the system overheating due to very poor air circulation.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you already know what you are getting then go ahead and buy it.
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Trustee

Before going for a pavilion, please read The Hewlett-Packard Nightmare.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Major Player

Which AMD Phenom II six core processor are you getting? They have an entire family of them and some are more powerful than others. My new computer has the 1090t and 12 gigs of RAM. It renders much faster than my old dual core processcor did with Vegas Pro.

We are having some issues with the new computer and Vegas Pro 10 but I don't believe it has anything to do with processing power. Vegas 10 running 64 bits on my new computer seems to lock up and have more issues than Vegas 10 32 bit on my old computer did.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I do not already know what computer I am going to get I am trying to find what I can afford and yet will get the job done. It is hard to try and do what I love and have to work full time to support it and then to add to my chaos I have a 14 year old son home every other week. I have taught myself and learned by trial and error (not much fun), being knowledgable on computers is not my strong point and I am not trying to argue I am trying to find the one that will do the job without going over my weak budget. I have had one of my shorts in film festivals and am filming my first full length film that I have written, am directing and because of time issues also have to act in and I get to do the editting as well. I am also working on a documentary on mental illness, difficult interviews for sure. So far between dumb luck, tenacity, new technology and sites like this I have managed to get this far. I find the access to all of the knowledge on here invaluable and I aplologize if my inexperience annoys some of you. It is indeed frustrating and at times I get very discouraged so thank you to all of you who share your knowledge and are patient with me.
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Trustee

Hey Suzanne,
What you have managed to achieve in the limited time available to you is a massive accomplishment in itself, you should be proud of yourself.
The banter on these forums is sometimes quite fast and certainly not to be taken to heart.

re your new PC,
Of course you must work to your budget, maybe just think of a few must haves,
Intel i7- fastest you can afford.
at least 6gb Ram
at least 2x 7200rpm drives (or even better an SSD system drive, once you have one you wont go back).
Graphics card in Vegas just doesnt make a big difference, whatever you get will be fine.

My laptop isnt even spec'd that good, and I can do jobs on that quite happily for weeks at a time. Its all relative.
An awesome PC is no fun if you cant afford the pizza while pulling an all-nighter editing your latest masterpiece :)
Good luck
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Suzanne, Like you I have to compromise between the ideal and what I can afford. I edited HDV video just fine on my AMD dual core processor with 8 gigs of RAM before I got my new computer with the AMD 1090t six core processor.

Both edited HDV just fine but the six core 1090t processor renders much, much faster. Plus my new computer having 64 bit Windows 7 home premium lets me run the 64 bit versioin of Vegas and does away with the 2 gig file size limit.

I think the six core AMD will work just fine for you. It will be better if the processor is at least the 10775t if not the 1090t. Don't know if the 1045t will be any improvement over a fast Intel quad processor.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Graphics card in Vegas just doesnt make a big difference, whatever you get will be fine.
Not entirely true. Vegas 10 now uses CUDA which is supported by nVidia but not ATI. CUDA us used to speed up rendering of the Sony AVC format. Maybe not a big deal, but hopefully they will in the future support CUDA for preview also.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Trustee

yeah I know, right after I posted I thought someone would jump on me for saying that.
At present though, IMO, I couldnt justify spending more money on a card in a budget system that could be better used on a faster CPU.
For the benefit of this thread we can all prob agree that the user experience ATM in Vegas isnt enhanced that much by faster graphics /CUDA.
If we were talking Premiere Pro it would be entirely different.
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Regular Crew

iBUYPOWER Computer :: Special-A

the only option i would add is double the memory, so you're under $1200 shipped.

I know people that are very happy with their orders from this company.
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
At present though, IMO, I couldnt justify spending more money on a card in a budget system that could be better used on a faster CPU.
For the benefit of this thread we can all prob agree that the user experience ATM in Vegas isnt enhanced that much by faster graphics /CUDA.
You do not have to spend much money to get CUDA.

As for Vegas not being enhanced enough, maybe not, but in third party plug-ins it can make considerable difference.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...