DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to deliver HD content on a Flash Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/493499-how-deliver-hd-content-flash-drive.html)

Geoffrey Chandler March 23rd, 2011 05:53 PM

How to deliver HD content on a Flash Drive

I have a wedding highlight reel I'd like to give to my client in HD quality on a flash drive, thinking she can watch it on her home computer in all it's glory. Would this render setting work OK?

Sony AVC (Mp 4) @ 8,000,000 bps

Thanks

Jay Allen March 23rd, 2011 08:21 PM

Re: How to deliver HD content on a Flash Drive

Yes it will work, I do it all the time because not so many people do not own a bluray.
I have found that certain devices that have a USB input like a bluray player or dvr etc. wont play the video unless the bit rate is 6 or less, but if I use the USB on the computer it will work.
Just make sure your client doesn't have an old computer...they have a hard time playing .mpg4
J.

Jeremiah Rickert March 24th, 2011 12:46 AM

Also...not all thumb drives are equal! Some of them are rated quite low when it comes to reading and writing. Some of those $10 4 gig thumb drives that you can even find in grocery stores these days have cheapo parts. This only really applies to TV's with USB ports or something. If they transfer it to their computer it should play fine assuming they have the right codecs.

(I tend to recommend VLC for everything)

Jim Greene March 24th, 2011 05:31 AM

Is the Sony AVC codec playable with Quicktime or iTunes on a MAC?

Geoffrey Chandler March 24th, 2011 09:37 AM

Is there a better codec that I should consider or is Sony AVC the way to go?

Bruce Phung March 24th, 2011 09:52 AM

For PC viewing, I like 1080 60i template (1440x1080) I have try Sony AVC template, the playing back sometime is not as smooth. I am using i7 920 with 6gigs

Leslie Wand March 24th, 2011 04:13 PM

quite frankly i find 720 not only the easiest delivery format (mp4), but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and 1440 on the average lcd.

yes, i know if you're really looking there's a difference, but for the average viewer, even when asked to pick between the two they can't.....

Larry Reavis March 24th, 2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler (Post 1631128)
Is there a better codec that I should consider or is Sony AVC the way to go?

You can get far superior .MP4s that require only a fraction of the bitrate (hence, will play even on the cheapest thumb drives) if you use handbrake or MeGui. For example, see tutorial at

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

For example, I routinely post web videos at only 500 kbps, 1280x720, 30 fps (I use Handbrake). For an example, please click the full screen button at

physics