DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Preview Pixelating In External Display (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/493611-preview-pixelating-external-display.html)

Allen Campbell March 25th, 2011 11:24 PM

Preview Pixelating In External Display

I'm a noob with Vegas Pro 10. I did the same sink or swim thing in PhotoShop years ago and am holding my own.

I promise to do searches and read tutorials before posting here but I need an immediate issue addressed.

I have dual Samsung 215TW 21.5 inch S-PVA 1680 X1050 displays. When I view the previews in the external display it is pixelated. Even when in native or "as shot" size. I have played around with settings and did a search but to no avail. I am back at the defaults now and asking here.

Thanks.

Leslie Wand March 26th, 2011 12:48 AM

Re: Preview Pixelating In External Display

what ver vegas?

what pc specs?

what's on your tl?

what quality are you previewing at?

Allen Campbell March 26th, 2011 09:13 AM

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1631763)
what ver vegas?

Vegas Pro 10.0c (Build 470)

Quote:

what pc specs?
GA-EP45-UD3P & Q6600 - Stock Clock
8GB DDR2 CORSAIR XMS2 DHX - Voltage @ 2.1 (Mfg Recommended)
620W CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX Modular
POWERCOLOR AX3650 512MD2 Radeon HD
WD Black 640GB x2 @ RAID-1 Win 7 Pro x64
WD Black 1TB Storage
WD Green 750GB Storage
WD RE3 750GB x 2 in External Box @ RAID 1 Backups
WD MyBook 500GB USB Misc Storage
Dual Samsung 215TW S-PVA Displays

Quote:

what's on your tl?
What TL? I don't recognize the acronym.

Quote:

what quality are you previewing at?
All was defaulted when I posted but I got it to do better by choosing Best (Full). The major gain was choosing "Display at Project Size" in Video Preview Preferences.

But please recommend according to what I can afford via my system specs. I noticed the memory allocation settings in there also. With 8GB RAM I can afford some. Think?

Leslie Wand March 26th, 2011 05:03 PM

tl - timeline.

what's on it might also contribute to poor preview.

do your project settings equal your source media?

don't worry about the ram for the moment.

Allen Campbell March 31st, 2011 08:38 AM

Thanks,

I'm experimenting for now with files I have already processed with Windows Movie maker so that is a good question and may reveal me dilemma? Agree?

However it has improved with unchecking "Adjust Size & Quality for optimal playback"

So as a test I guess I need to import as shot from the camcorder and see what happens?

I have also been reading about optimizing file source & rendering locations being on separate drives none of which is the OS drive. I have the resources to do this and am wondering if this has any effect on my OP question?

Thanks

Leslie Wand March 31st, 2011 05:31 PM

try straight captured files - nothing previously worked on in another nle.

certainly try to avoid capturing / working on your os drive.

yes, 'Adjust Size & Quality for optimal playback' doesn't seem to help matters in general (good idea, poorly implemented).

Allen Campbell April 2nd, 2011 08:07 PM

Thanks Guys we are good.

I also learned around here about separating the source, rendered destination & OS HDD's. Lucky for me I have plenty of options.

Allen Campbell April 10th, 2011 09:22 PM

To follow up, I have two displays. I use one as an external preview monitor. To get a good preview I went in to "Video Preview Preferences" / Video Tab and selected the checkbox "Display at Project Size". Then because I could see a tiny bit of some interlacing I went to the next tab "Preview Device" and selected the "Apply Interlace Filter" check box. She is good to go. I see it as it would be rendered on the secondary.