DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Trying to import a file from DVD to Vegas - running into problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/494270-trying-import-file-dvd-vegas-running-into-problems.html)

Adi Head April 7th, 2011 03:24 PM

Trying to import a file from DVD to Vegas - running into problems

Hi. I'm trying to use a bit of archive material that I found on a DVD. But the file which I got off the DVD is acting strange in Vegas. Here's what I did exactly:

First of all I opened the DVD VIDEO_TS folder and copied the .vob files to my hard drive.
Then I changed the .vob extension to .mpg and imported the mpg files which contains the segment I need into Vegas.

But in Vegas the file becomes much shorter than it really is.

The file size is about 1GB. When I play it with VLC Media Player, the total playing time of the file is over 20 minutes. But the very same file, when imported into Vegas and placed on the timeline, appears to be only a bit over 4 minutes. When previewing the file in Vegas, surely enough there is a great portion missing. Still the file size in Vegas remains the same as how it is listed on my hard drive.

Another strange thing I noticed about this file, which may or may not have to do with the problem, is that when I play the file in VLC Media Player, after the 23rd minute or so the duration indicator on VLC (which indicates the hours:minutes:and seconds of playing time) suddenly resets to 0:00:00. The video itself continues to play without interruption, but the clock seems to think a new video has started.

I tried importing other files from the same DVD using the same method I described above - and they all imported fine. It is only a problem with this one file.

Does anyone possibly have a clue of what might be causing this problem and how I might be able to retrieve the part of the file that goes missing when imported into Vegas?

Using: Windows XP
Vegas Pro 9e

Thanks.

Leslie Wand April 7th, 2011 06:33 PM

Re: Trying to import a file from DVD to Vegas - running into problems

use import media - dvd

Adi Head April 19th, 2011 11:52 AM

Hey Leslie, thanks for the reply... and sorry I haven't checked in since then. I got a bit side-tracked.

Anyway, the situations is I only have the files from the DVD on hard drive. I don't have the actual DVD disk.
I tried: IMPORT MEDIA > DVD... then hit the BROWSE button... navigated to the folder in where the .vob files are stored - but the OPEN button remained greyed out and inactive.

So, that didn't work for me. :(

Mike Kujbida April 19th, 2011 12:32 PM

Adi, navigate to the folder where the files are and stop right there.
Vegas will then do what it's supposed to do.

Adi Head April 19th, 2011 05:51 PM

I tried again. When attempting to import the media by navigating to the folder where the files are - the OPEN button remained greyed out and inactive. I'm thinking that for some reason Vegas is not recognizing the .vob files that I had copy/pasted from the DVD to my hard drive.
So, without a better option, I decided to drive out to where the original DVD disk is stored and brought it over. I popped it into my DVD-ROM drive and selected IMPORT > DVD CAMCORDER DISK. Vegas immediately recognized I had a DVD in drive D: and imported the files. All is good and the file that was problematic before plays back in Vegas fine and to its full duration.

thanks.

Leslie Wand April 19th, 2011 08:27 PM

mazel tov!

Edward Troxel April 20th, 2011 07:10 AM

Adi, you don't browse down to where the FILES are. You browse down to where the Video_TS folder is.