Vegas10Pro - Tape Capture - Canopus Probs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 9th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas10Pro - Tape Capture - Canopus Probs

Hi Folks,

I was going to post in the Sony hardware section but since it works in one software and not Vegas I am asking here.
Version = Vegas Pro10c
Camcorder = Sony DSR-PD170.
Converter = Canopus ADVC110.
Connection = Firewire.

Symptom = When I connect and use Vegas "Sony Video Capture 6.0" the camcorder will not roll tape and the input on the Canopus changes state from Digital to Analog input mode. No video is captured. I have the Canopus defaulted to Digital input when started. If I press the play button on the camcorder the tape rolls but nothing shows up on screen or in a file.

So I Swap to Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker it fires up and it captures fine, the Canopus remains in the Digital input state. The file comes out nice. The camcorder is controlled by the software.

I sure would like it all to happen in Vegas, so I can stay in Vegas. :-° .

Note, I have tried various Firewire configurations. I have a Koutech 1314 400 & 800 PCI card and tried the six and nine pin ports of the card with no change. I have a 6 pin port on my Motherboard and it works fine. In short, there was no difference between the configurations. I decided to stay on the MoBo port.

Thanks
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vegas10Pro - Tape Capture - Canopus Probs

capturing what? hd / dv?

you can't capture hd via sony cap 6 utility - only dv. and vice versa.

oppss - sorry didn't see the pd170 reference.

Last edited by Leslie Wand; April 10th, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A PD170 already has a firewire port so I don't understand why the Canopus box is a factor here.
Are you connecting your PD170 to your computer through the Canopus?
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Allen, the Canopus is not a camera so it cannot "start the tape". In the capture program, you have to turn off "device control". Then manually press play on the camera and hit capture on the computer.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
A PD170 already has a firewire port so I don't understand why the Canopus box is a factor here. Are you connecting your PD170 to your computer through the Canopus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Allen, the Canopus is not a camera so it cannot "start the tape". In the capture program, you have to turn off "device control". Then manually press play on the camera and hit capture on the computer.
OK you guys. I found it and although it's kind of embarrassing I'm going to fess-up. I hope you give me credit for my due diligence as I am a retired professional troubleshooter, and a professional investigator so giving up does not come in the early stages.
I spent a couple hours trying all the different scenarios of software, hardware and connectivity configurations and just when I was ready to live with the fact I needed to bypass the Canopus in FW I bumped into it in Windows Live Movie Maker (WLMM).

On my PC when using either "Sony Video Capture 6.0" or "WLMM" the defaulted choice of two available options to import from is "AV/C Tape Recorder Player". Next in the list is "Microsoft DV Camera and DVR". If you have device control issues and see the Canopus swapping from Digital to Analog input modes it is most likely because you have the wrong source device selected.

When I chose Microsoft DV Camera all my issues dissipated. Now BOTH camcorders are controlled by the software. And the Canopus remains in the Digital input mode in Firewire connectivity. Sheeeeesh!

The simple answer is in choosing the correct source rather it be in Vegas or WLMM. One can easily over look it because it will function somewhat but in a painful manner. And perhaps one would think the device without the Microsoft name on it would be the one he has.

For the sake of someone searching here in the future using the Word Canopus and such.......

If you have device control issues and see the Canopus swapping from Digital to analog input modes it is most likely because you have the wrong video source device selected in the capture software properties.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...